MIAMI (CBSMiami) – For the second day in a row, hundreds gathered in downtown Miami to protest the death of George Floyd, a Minnesota man who died in police custody last Monday.

The downtown protest was one of several held across South Florida and the nation.
Police had to use tear gas to disperse a protest in Fort Lauderdale.

READ MORE: Sharp Increase In Hospitalized Children With Covid Investigated In South Africa

WATCH LIVE — Protesters gather across South Florida.

The demonstrators marched through the streets of downtown Miami holding signs and chanting the name of George Floyd and “No justice, no peace,” and “I can’t breathe.”

Miami-Dade police announced they had made 28 arrests. This is what they tweeted:

At 5 p.m., the crowds had gathered at the Torch of Friendship near Bayside Marketplace.

The marchers had intended to go to the Miami Police Station, but marchers changed course and ended up near the shopping center.

At 5:30 p.m., protesters started walking north toward the AAA Arena, where they were met by a line of Miami-Dade police officers holding shields and wearing helmets.

They prevented demonstrators from entering the PortMiami exit from Biscayne Boulevard. Police used a bullhorn to issue a warning to the marchers, they said this is an ‘unlawful assembly and that they had 15 minutes to disperse.”

Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez backed the county police department’s decision to cite Florida Statute 870.04, which allows “officers to disperse riotous assembly.”

“The Miami-Dade police officers, they were making sure that the protesters didn’t get into the [Port of Miami],” said Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez. “Does it lead to higher tensions? Yeah. But I don’t know of a way we can protect our officers when there is a potential for this to escalate. And so it’s a fine line.”

Police told protesters to break-up the gathering or face consequences.

At 6 p.m., protesters were heading north on Biscayne Blvd. and had made a turn on NE 8th Street.

READ MORE: Florida Panthers Find Ways To Rally Again, Top Blues 4-3 In Shootout

A group of protesters had made it to the westbound lanes of I-395 stopping all traffic.

That group ran into a line of FHP troopers and turned around.

Chopper 4 images also showed a group of people riding ATVs and motorcycles.

By 7 p.m., the majority of the marchers had headed north on Biscayne Boulevard. There was a heavy police presence in downtown Miami.

The protesters had reached the 3600 block of Biscayne Boulevard by 7:30 p.m., as they continued to walk north. CBS4 cameras captured drivers honking in support of the marchers.

By 8 p.m., the curfew for the City of Miami was in effect, as protesters were making their way back south on Biscayne Boulevard. The crowds had dwindled.

Police were letting the marchers walk peacefully back towards downtown Miami.

CBS4 cameras captured police officers in riot gear and still others on bicycles.

Authorities detonated a loud device to disperse demonstrators near the CVS store near Biscayne Boulevard and the AAA Arena. Someone had tried to break the store’s front window.

Damage to the front window of a CVS store in downtown Miami.

Damage to the front window of a CVS store in downtown Miami. (CBS4)

By 9 p.m., the Miami-Dade countywide curfew was in effect and there were hardly any demonstrators left in downtown Miami.

Police used a bullhorn to remind anyone who was left in the area about the curfew.

MORE NEWS: Police Shoot, Kill Knife-Wielding Suspect At Florida Institute of Technology

On Saturday afternoon, the director of the Miami-Dade Police Department, Alfredo “Freddy” Ramirez III, tweeted the following: