MIAMI (CBSMiami) – As Matthew slowly moves northward as a Category 4 hurricane, a Hurricane Warning and Watch have been issued for the Bahamas.READ MORE: Small But Ferocious Hurricane Sam Strengthens Some More
Maximum sustained winds are at 145 mph.
At 11:00 p.m., the center of the storm was about 325 miles southwest of Port au Prince, Haiti and about 255 miles south-southeast of Kingston, Jamaica.
Matthew is moving toward the north near 5 mph (7 km/h), and this general motion is expected to continue through Monday.
On the forecast track, the center of Matthew will approach Jamaica and southwestern Haiti on Monday and into Tuesday.
Matthew is a category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Some fluctuations in intensity are possible during the next couple of days, but Matthew is expected to remain a powerful hurricane into Tuesday.READ MORE: Lines Of Mourners Pay Their Respects Sunday For Gabby Petito
Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 25 miles (35 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 195 miles (315 km).
The Government of the Bahamas has issued a Hurricane Warning for the Southeastern Bahamas and a Hurricane Watch for the Central Bahamas.
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for:
- Cuban provinces of Guantanamo, Santiago de Cuba, Holguin, Granma and Las Tunas.
- Southeastern Bahamas, including the Inaguas, Mayaguana, Acklins, Crooked Island, Long Cay, and Ragged Island
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for:
- Southeastern Bahamas, including the Inaguas, Mayaguana, Acklins, Crooken Island and Long Cay
- Cuba province of Camaguey
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- Central Bahamas
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:MORE NEWS: Blue Alert Issued Out Of North Florida County For Patrick McDowell, Accused Of Murdering Deputy During Traffic Stop
- Dominican Republic from Barahona westward to the border with Haiti
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for:
- Dominican Republic from Puerto Plata westward to the border with Haiti
- Click here for ways to prepare yourself for an impending storm from the CBSMiami.com Hurricane Preps page
- Click here for the latest news surrounding hurricanes and the National Hurricane Center
- Click here to see all of the latest maps when a storm forms in the Atlantic
- Click here to download the CBS4 2016 Hurricane Guide (English)
- Click here to download the CBS4 2016 Hurricane Guide (Spanish)
- Click here for Live Weather Blog
- Download CBS4 Weather App Here