FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) — Broward County has opened shelters as much of the county is under evacuation orders.
Those ordered to evacuate include both of Broward’s evacuation zones “A” and “B” – basically anyone living east of US-1. Click here for evacuation routes.
At last check, about 8,770 people were already in the county’s shelters which have a capacity of 18,500.
Those who decide to stay in a shelter, should be aware that many fill up quickly. Once they are at capacity, they will not allow anyone else in. This has been the case for some shelters in the county already.
The following shelters are OPEN:
- Tradewinds Park & Stables 3600 W. Sample Rd., Coconut Creek, FL 33073
- Silver Palms Elementary School 1209 NW 155th Ave, Pembroke Pines, FL 33028
- Beachside Montessori Village 2230 Lincoln St, Hollywood, FL 33020
- Everglades Elementary School 2900 Bonaventure Blvd, Weston, FL 33331
- Lyons Creek Middle School 4333 Sol Press Blvd., Coconut Creek 33073
- Parkside Elementary 10257 NW 29th St., Coral Springs, FL 33065 (Pet-Friendly, Opens at 8:30 p.m.)
- Everglades High School 17100 SW 48 Court, Miramar, FL 33027 (Pet-Friendly)
- New Renaissance Middle School 10701 Miramar Blvd., Miramar 33025
- Park Lakes Elementary School 3925 N. State Road 7, Lauderdale Lakes 33319
- Coconut Palm Elementary School 13601 Monarch Lakes Blvd, Miramar 33027
The following shelters are CLOSED since they are at capacity:
- Monarch High School 5050 Wiles Road, Coconut Creek 33073
- Rock Island Elementar/ Atlantic Technical (Arthur Ashe) 1701 N. W. 23rd Ave., Fort Lauderdale 33311
- Falcon Cove Middle School 4251 Bonaventure Blvd., Weston 3333
- Coral Glades High School 2700 Sportsplex Dr, Coral Springs 33065
- Millennium Middle School / Challenger Elementary School Campus 5803 NW 94th Ave. Tamarac, FL 33321
- Plantation Elementary School 651 N.W. 42nd Ave. Plantation, FL 33317
- Pompano Beach High School 600 N.E. 13 Ave. Pompano Beach, FL 33060
- Fox Trail Elementary School 1250 Nob Hill Road, Davie 33324
- Watkins Elementary School 3520 S. W. 52nd Ave., Pembroke Park 33023
- West Broward High School 500 NW 209 Avenue, Pembroke Pines, FL 33029
For pet-friendly shelter, registration of pets is required. To register, call the Humane Society at 954-989-3977. Other than the pet-friendly shelter, General Population shelters do not accommodate pets other than service animals.
Please make sure not to go to the shelters empty-handed. You are expected to bring supplies that will last you at least three days. Click here for a full list.
Residents are urged to make sure they are prepared. If you have any issues, residents are urged to call the Broward Emergency Hotline at 311 or (954) 831- 4000. You can also visit their Emergency Operations site.
- Click here for ways to prepare yourself for an impending storm from our Hurricane Preps page
- Click here for latest news surrounding hurricanes and the National Hurricane Center
- Click here to see all of the latest maps when a storm forms in the Atlantic
- Click here to download the CBS4 2017 Hurricane Guide (English)
- Click here for Live Weather Blog
- Download the CBS4 Weather App Here