MIAMI (CBSMiami) — The Vagabond Hotel is a historic property with a 50’s vibe, and now there is a new dining spot to match it.
It is called Gregory’s Diner and owners Anastasia Koutsioukis and Ahmet Erkaya, the couple who own the popular Greek restaurant Mandolin Aegean in the Buena Vista area, say their concept is to honor the building’s history. Even the pool bar outside has been upgraded and brightened to welcome diners and guests.READ MORE: 2 Hialeah Police Officers Arrested, Charged With Official Misconduct, Falsifying Public Records
“We wanted something that felt elevated and pays tribute to diners of the ’50s and also honoring the architecture of the property bringing a handsome feel to it. Hence, its name Gregory’s, feeling tailored and a bit more bistro,” she said.
Back in the Kitchen Chef/partner Roel Alcudia, creates Gregory’s popular Potato Gnocchi with cherry tomato, basil, and Parmesan cheese.
All pastas are made in house, oozing with freshness and flavor.
This is today’s Digital Bite.
Gnocchi with Cherry Tomatoes by Chef/Partner Roel Alcudia
- 2# of Idaho potatoes or two large ones
- 1 whole egg
- 2 cups 00 flour or all purpose flour plus some for dusting
- 1 head garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Sea salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 3 tbsp European style unsalted butter
- Parmesan for grating
DIRECTIONS:READ MORE: Broward County Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie Arrested, Charged With Perjury
*Start by simmering the potatoes whole with skin on, along with the garlic, rosemary and 2 tbsp of sea salt until tender. About 25-30 min
*Drain the potatoes and discard the aromatics. Let the potatoes sit at room temp for 5 min to dry out.
*Peel the potatoes and put it through a ricer or a food mill.
*Place the riced potatoes on a work surface and crack the eggs on top plus 2 cups of flour. Using a bench scraper chop the mixture and gently fold until thoroughly mixed. Avoid kneading the mixture as this works the starch too much and you’ll end up with gummy dumplings. It should have an appearance of freshly scooped ice cream when cut through the middle of the dough. It is imperative that the potatoes are still hot while making this dough.
*Lightly flour the work surface. Then using a knife, cut a small piece of the dough and roll them into ropes about 1” in diameter. Using a sharp knife the ropes into 1” pieces. At this point you could either leave them as is for a rustic look or ridge them using a back of a fork.
Place dumplings in a sheet tray and freeze overnight.
*Note: you can substitute with store bought gnocchi from a specialty store or from the refrigerated section at your local grocer to ensure freshness
To put together:
- In a 10” skillet place olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter and turn on high heat until the butter starts to foam but not brown.
- Remove the gnocchi out of the freezer and gently tap on a hard surface to dislodge.
- Place frozen gnocchi in the pan just enough to cover the surface in a single layer and cook until golden brown. Toss the pan to sear the other side and then drain the pan of excess oil.
- Place the pan back on high heat and add the cherry tomatoes, 1 cup of water, salt to taste and 1 tbsp of the butter. Continue cooking until the water and butter are emulsified giving gnocchi and tomatoes a glossy coating. Do not reduce too much or else it will break and will yield greasy dumplings. If this happens just add a little more water and toss until emulsified again. Place in a warm plate and grate some parmigiano on top and garnish with basil and parsley.
- Extra gnocchi can be kept in an airtight container and kept frozen until ready to use.
- Bon Appetito.
MORE NEWS: Former Sen. Bill Nelson Testifies At Senate Confirmation Hearing For NASA’s Top Job