MIAMI (CBSMiami) â Tropical Storm Elsa has grown a little stronger and is expected to make landfall across central Cuba on Monday afternoon as part of the Florida Keys remain in a Tropical Storm Warning.
As of 11 p.m. Sunday, Elsa was 165 miles east southeast of Cayo Largo, Cuba and 270 miles southeast of Havana, Cuba. Max sustained winds increased from 60 to 65 mph with higher gusts as it moves toward the northwest near 15 mph.READ MORE: CBS4 Nat Moore Trophy Profile: Gulliver Prep Running Back Sedrick Irvin Jr.
This general motion is expected to continue through Monday, followed by a turn toward the north-northwest on Tuesday.
On the forecast track, the center of Elsa will approach south-central Cuba early Monday.Â Elsa is expected to move across central and western Cuba and head toward the Florida Straits on Monday, and pass near the Florida Keys early Tuesday. Elsa is then forecast to move near or over portions of the west coast of Florida on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Some additional strengthening is expected before Elsa moves over Cuba, followed by some weakening while the center moves over land. Slight restrengthening is possible after Elsa moves over the southeastern Gulf of Mexico.
Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 80 miles (130 km) from the center.READ MORE: Florida Mom Making Angel Gowns For Families Who Lose Baby Unexpectedly
SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for:
- Cuban provinces of Cienfuegos and Matanzas.
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for:
- The Cuban province of Camaguey.
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
- The Cuban provinces of Camaguey, Ciego de Avila, Sancti Spiritus, Villa Clara, Mayabeque, and Havana
- The Florida Keys from Craig Key westward to the Dry Tortugas
A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for:
- West coast of Florida from Bonita Beach to the Suwannee River
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for:
- Cayman Brac and Little Cayman
- The Cuban province of Artemisa
- The Florida Keys from east of Craig Key to Ocean Reef
- Florida Bay
- West coast of Florida from Flamingo northward to the Anclote River