MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Have you ever left money at the airport? The Transportation Security Administration says $47,694.03 was left behind at Miami International Airport’s security checkpoints in 2019.
In total, they say they collected a total of $926,030.44 in unclaimed money that passengers left behind, including $18,899.09 in foreign currency.READ MORE: Miami Weather: Partly Cloudy Earth Day, Scattered Storms Possible In The Afternoon
Authorities said the money consisted of loose change and paper currency that passengers removed from their pockets and left behind in a bin during the security screening process at TSA checkpoints.READ MORE: Governor Ron DeSantis Sued Over Florida's New 'Anti-Riot' Law
Here are the top five airports where passengers have left the most money behind:
1. John F. Kennedy International Airport – $98,110
2. San Francisco International Airport – $52,668.70
3. Miami International Airport – $47,694.03
4. McCarran International Airport – $44,401.76
5. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport – $40,218.19
TSA says travelers who left behind money can contact any of TSA’s lost and found offices at airports across the country to identify the lost item.