FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – It’s gonna get really chilly tonight and you may want to take some precautions to protect your home, pets and plants.

Tuesday night will be the coldest of the next few days with lows plummeting to the 40s across Broward and Miami-Dade. Some inland areas may briefly tough the upper 30s overnight.

READ MORE: 11-Year-Old Danylah Harrington Found Safe

A wind chill advisory goes into effect at 7 p.m. and remain until 9 a.m. Wednesday morning due to forecast wind chills ranging from the mid-20s to the mid-30s.

If your out and about early Wednesday morning, pay careful attention to children and the elderly. They are especially vulnerable to the cold and the least able to protect themselves. Dress in layers and wear a hat that covers their ears when you are outdoors.

Bring potted plants indoors. Keep outdoor plants and trees watered.

READ MORE: Shortage Of At-Home Nurses Affecting South Florida's Most Vulnerable

Bring all pets indoors. Pets that must be left outside should have an enclosed shelter with the entrance facing away from the wind.

Finally, protect your resident against a fire.

Take time to inspect heating equipment before using it. According to the National Fire Protection Association, incorrect use of heating equipment is the leading cause of home fires.

MORE NEWS: Swastikas, Hate Messages Found Scrawled On Bathroom Wall At Davie High School

When protecting against fires in the home, here are some important safety tips:

  • Choose electric space heaters and use only those that are UL approved. Look for models that include safety features such as an automatic shut-off when tipped over.
  • Avoid the use of extension cords with space heaters, but if you must use one, make sure it is the proper size and length. Never run cords under rugs or carpets.
  • Keep your heater at least three feet away from furniture, curtains and other flammable items.
  • Install recommended smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and replace batteries regularly.
  • Never use charcoal or other fuel-burning devices indoors, such as grills that produce carbon monoxide.
  • Make sure all equipment is clean and dust-free.
  • Keep a close eye on children and pets whenever a space heater is being used.
  • Always turn off heaters when leaving home.