By Joan Murray

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Authorities say nine people were transported to local hospitals Thursday morning following exposure to carbon monoxide at a Miami Beach hotel.

It happened at the Shore Club South Beach Hotel, located in the 1900 block of Collins Avenue.

According to Miami Beach Fire Rescue, there was a carbon monoxide leak in the pool pump room and some workers began to feel light-headed and that led to a 911 call.

The pump runs on diesel fuel and high levels of carbon monoxide were detected once the pumps were turned off.

“Employees were transported, all in fair condition, to different hospitals. There were additional people treated and released on the scene. We are doing an investigation,” said Chief Jorge Linares of Miami Beach Fire & Rescue.

The area of concern is in the back of the hotel, near the kitchen area. That is where there pump room is located.

The hotel says six to eight rooms were temporarily evacuated.

Hotel guests say everything went smoothly.

Chopper 4 was over the scene where paramedics were seen transporting those affected via stretchers to area hospitals.

Officials say there were at least 9 people affected by the gas and others were treated and released.

Traffic along Collins Avenue was temporarily closed between 19th Street ant 21st Street.

The fire department monitored the air quality for several hours and gave the all-clear before noon.

Comments