Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI BEACH (CBSMiami) – A Tesla that police say was going nearly 130 miles per hour plowed into a black Infiniti SUV on the MacArthur Causeway.

Three people were left with traumatic injuries.

The driver of the SUV who was hospitalized for nearly four weeks after the accident spoke exclusively with CBS4’S Peter D’Oench.

He showed video of the accident to that driver, Basil Holness Jr., as Holness returned home to Sunrise from work with his young children.

As Holness watched the tape, he said he had not seen it before and was left almost speechless looking at it. “I am alive and God was with me. I can’t believe it. I don’t remember what happened. I don’t remember the car flipping over. When I look at it right now I can’t believe it.”

“I was left with traumatic brain injuries and had bleeding on the brain and I was in a coma for a few weeks and I am just now getting back to work,” he said. “I had spinal and rib fractures and a lacerated liver. I am just now getting back but I must tell you that every day is a struggle.”

CBS4’s Hank Tester’s report on the crash:

“I thank God that I am alive and I thank God for my life.” Said Holness. “To this driver I don’t know what to say. I heard he was arrested. This was unbelievable.”

Earlier Friday, D’Oench received a video of the October 21st, 2018 crash from Miami Beach police.

On it you can see the driver of the SUV attempting to make a U-turn on a green light when it is T-boned by the Tesla, nearly cutting it in half. The force of the impact caused the SUV to flip on its roof.

“It’s a shocking video of the crash that resulted after a Tesla traveling at top speed, 128 miles per hour, along the McArthur Causeway,” said Officer Ernesto Rodriguez. “At the moment of impact, after he pressed his brakes, it was a 93 mile per hour impact.”

It happened just after 1 a.m.

The driver and two passengers in the SUV were seriously hurt.

“These three people suffered injuries, traumatic injuries, and they may never be the same again. We’re talking spinal fractures, we’re talking collapsed lungs, one with a traumatic brain injury,” said Rodriguez.

The driver of the SUV was in a coma for a few weeks at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Jose Soto (Source: Miami-Dade Corrections)

Basil Hollness Jr. was left with multiple rib and lumbar spine fractures, a collapsed right lung, a lacerated liver and bleeding on the brain.

The driver of the Tesla, 38-year-old Jose Soto, was charged with three counts of reckless driving that caused serious bodily injury.

Rodriguez said the video clearly shows the SUV had the green light for several seconds and Soto blew through the red light with utter disregard for the safety of those around him.

“It shows the dangers of speeding. Just in 2017, close to ten thousand people lost their lives, according to the National Highway Transporation Safety Administration. So it’s a message to all those out there to really capture, to really see, what results after you speed.”

Police say Soto showed a “wanton and willful disregard” for the safety of others.

Comments (54)
  1. Patrick Kell says:

Execute him

2. seanmscully says:

It is crazy and criminal to go that fast on that road.

3. andymetacx says:

Surprised the Tesla driver didn’t die on the spot given that speed.

4. Stan McDonald says:

I call BS. No way it was going 127 MPH. It’s not much faster than the traffic on the other side.

1. Samuel Green says:

Stan, Electric vehicles have incredible amounts of torque and they can get to their top speed very fast. Next time you pass a Tesla dealership, take a test drive and you’ll see how fast they can accelerate my friend.

1. bdnsc says:

Torque has nothing to do with his comment. He is right…..that video sure doesn’t look like he is going anywhere near that fast….

2. lsbrew says:

Torque? wow, you find one in every crowd. Torque is what you need for quick acceleration, not top speed. no one has argued that a Tesla isn’t fast.
        The point is, when comparing the speed of the tesla to the other cars, it surely doesn’t look like it’s going 130mph.

2. Samuel Green says:

I stand by my comments and the framerate of the traffic cam does not accurately represent how fast he was actually travelling. He was flying. Electric cars are like crotch rocket bikes. Tesla roadsters hit 60mph from zero in 1.9 seconds.

5. Bob Suyak says:

Another liberal mythical hardworking, high morals and family oriented Hispanic f..ksup.

6. Mike Siesel says:

He’s definitely headed to prison…but at the legal limit. Maybe slower so he can get a good look at what he’ll be missing.

7. Bob Bradley says:

They should pass a law that doesn’t allow Telsa’s to exceed 25MPH within an legally designated area. And that’s just the start.

1. Elizabeth Greene says:

@Bob Bradley – Unless I’m mistaken, these “Speed Limit” laws already exist and apply to every vehicle *including* Teslas.

2. TheFeds could very well pass a law limiting the speed of vehicles sold to operate on public roads. No car manufactured to operate on public roads should be able to exceed 70mph

1. You sound like a communist. Society does not need more RULES and GOVERNMENT intervention. It needs better people with common sense and respect.

2. John Cochrane says:

Limiting to 70mph is a bad idea; many freeways already have a 65mph speed limit, having a hard-limit on cars at 70mph makes passing far more hazardous- assuming the other car is travelling at 65mph it would take 10+sec to safely pass them, maybe as much as half a minute to pass a tractor trailer.

8. Edmond Day says:

Speed kills.

1. Herman Munster says:

Speed does not kill only careless attention of those driving – people die in 35 mph collisions

2. Heath Sellers says:

No, speed does not kill – the impact is what kills and that can happen going fast or slow. Apparently “speed” did not kill anyone here

9. Luis Martinez says:

Soto should have been charged with three counts of attempted murder and sent to prison for life. That is the only effective message to these maniacs that reckless driving is a serious crime.

10. Jimmer Jim says:

Trump has no problem with this since the victim is black.

1. Robert Seeley says:

That’s an insane comment. One of Trumps best friends is black. You should really be more aware of your comments.

2. Bob Kaspar says:

Ordinary dimwit comment

3. Josh Gilman says:

Most inane comment of the day.

Clinton: imprisoned more blacks than any other President; Hillary Clinton sees them as ‘superpredators’. Democrats put planned parenthood Margaret Sanger clinics in black neighborhoods and oversee larger percentages of black abortions at a higher rate statistically insane compared to black people’s population count.
      Obama: More black people on welfare than any other President.
      Trump: Lowest black and hispanic unemployment percentages in history. Passed criminal reform act.

Try again.

11. Iain Clodagh says:

Tesla Drivers are the new BMW drivers

12. Todd Aglialoro says:

Well, it certainly shows the danger of going over 120 mph on a surface road and running a red light. Not sure how transferable this incident is to “speeding” by driving 72 on the freeway with the flow of traffic.

13. Luke Dillard says:

How does an illegal get the cash to buy one of those coal powered beauties, anyway?

14. John Mason says:

Thelma and Louise him across the Rio Grande from a high cliff.

15. Gary Thompson says:

If I were a victum, he’d never be able to afford a Honda, let alone a Tesla ever again.

16. Dan Tiede says:

That ambulance was sitting only 50 feet away from the accident!

17. Pallas Samanya says:

““It shows the dangers of speeding”??? What about the dangers of “Don’t run red lights” or “Pay attention when driving”… speed makes the accident worse, but those other two things actually prevent the accident. I’m more interested in prevention than minimization.

18. Joseph Mack says:

How much longer are we going to let these CARS mutilate and kill innocent people?? They should be heavily regulated, come equipped with automatic collision detectors and automatic speed limit detectors that keep ‘law-breaking’ cars from going any faster than the posted speed limit!! Not only that, but in order to own one, a person should have a ‘compelling reason.’

Better still, since it’s the CAR that is committing the offense, lets just declare them illegal! Let everyone ride a bus, bicycle, or walk. There, problem solved and the ‘greeniweenies’ will be ever-so-happy – wait… I can hear them now… “You mean I can’t drive my car?? But I’m a RESPONSIBLE driver!!!” I can only say in response – that’s the same EXCUSE that gun owners use!

19. Giacomo Titolo says:

Ever heard of the MMDs? “Miami Macho Drivers” …rich or poor, luxury cars or just junk on wheels they think they are invincible and race recklessly and zig-zag and zip past cars on the freeways on regular streets disregarding red lights, etc. etc. …