Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A timely reminder from Broward Sheriff’s Fire Rescue for anyone who has a live Christmas tree in their home.

On Wednesday, they demonstrated how easy it is for a live tree to catch fire if it is not kept properly hydrated.

Officials say every year fire departments respond to an average of 200 house fires that began with a Christmas tree that was too dry.

So, remember to water your trees, folks.

WATCH THE TREE FIRE VIDEO HERE

 

Experts also say you should discard any light strands that have broken bulbs or frayed wires that could spark a fire.

The packaging should indicate that they are UL certified and, if you have upgraded to newer technology, don’t be complacent.

One last piece of advice applies to any season.

Make sure smoke alarms are in place on every floor and make sure they are working.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s