Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Fire rescue and police are finally letting people back onto the property of an Aventura condo complex where a raging fire broke out Friday evening.
Chopper4 was over the scene at the Plaza del Prado condominiums on NE 180th Street near Biscayne Boulevard.
“Can’t see two feet in front of you. It’s like smoke it’s like a wall,” said Chris, who works at the building.
A group of man were working on the 19th floor of the tower when the fire broke out.
“It smelled like someone was cooking, it smelled good,” one of the workers said. “And all the sudden it started smelling terrible.”
The fire started at a fifth floor unit and spread quickly. The Miami-Dade Fire Department did its best to put the fire out, but Chris said it was a challenge getting out.
“I didn’t have any access to the stairway. Went on the rooftop and I went to the west and of the building so I could escape,” he said.
The building wasn’t completely evacuated. Some of the nearest people to the blaze were trapped during the fire.
“That’s something that you should always practice – know your exit,” said Jorge Troyno with Miami-Dade Fire Rescue. “This building has more than one staircase. Where are multiple staircases? Know you exits and how to get out of there. Call 911, obviously.”
Dozens of people coming home were turned away as firefighters tried to clear the smoke out of the building and conduct an investigation.
“Right now we are taking all the measures to make sure it’s safe to be in the building,” Troyno said. “Carbon monoxide, have all the meters. We have hazmat teams out here. They’re gathering the data for that to make it safe so that everybody inside can stay there apartment right now.”
Two people transported to the hospital – the resident of the home where the fire started and a firefighter. Several other people were treated at the scene.