Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) — Imagine landing at the airport and seeing a plane on fire, black smoke filling the sky and then an explosion rocking the runway.

READ MORE: Proposal Would Make Juneteenth Paid State Holiday

That’s exactly what happened at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport Friday.

“There was a trail of fire it was like a fireball running fuel fire down the runway leading to the jet,” said Broward Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Mike Jachles.

The FAA said it started shortly before 6 p.m. when FedEx cargo plane, a DC-10 coming into FLL from Memphis, had its main landing gear collapse and catch fire.

Related: Plane Headed To Miami From O’Hare Airport Catches Fire Before Takeoff

According to CBS News Correspondent Kris Van Cleave, both pilots escaped from aircraft.

“They evacuated the aircraft using a rope ladder on the right side of the jet they were not injured fortunately,” Jachles said.

READ MORE: Cardiac Electrophysiology: Talking About The Heart’s Electric System

A member of the airports fire rescue team just so happened to see this fire start and immediately radioed the call-in.

“Just over two minutes we had units out on the scene. It was a FedEx DC-10 with heavy fire and involvement of the left-wing and left engine,” Jachles explained.

In situations like this fire fighters have to work quick and smart. A plane this size has enough jet fuel that could cause catastrophic damage injury and death

“The DC-10 have 40,000 pounds of fuel on board when it was coming in on landing. That’s a lot of fuel,” Jachles said.

The airport had to stop all flights coming into the airport and going out. Flights finally resumed at 7 p.m.

The airport said they’ve been in contact with the National Transportation Safety Board.

MORE NEWS: Fort Lauderdale Worker Injured During Active Shooter Training Session

“The airport is secure flights are continuing to operate so everything that should’ve happened is happening and is going forward,” Broward County Aviation Department spokesperson Greg Myer said.