MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The C.I.A says the triple suicide bomb attack at Istanbul’s airport has the hallmarks of ISIS.READ MORE: Boca Raton Man Faces DUI Charges In Fatal Crash That Killed Homestead Mom, Daughter On Thanksgiving Eve
At least 41 people were killed and 239 others injured in Tuesday’s attack.
On Wednesday, work crews were busy repairing damage to the Atatürk Airport hoping to restore a sense of normalcy after chaos broke out a day earlier in the international terminal.
“First you think you’re in a film but then you start running and people run the other way it was total chaos,” said Thomas Kemper who was visiting Turkey.
He was one of dozens of travelers and workers who raced to safety moments before explosions ripped through the airport.
The three terrorists arrived in a taxi cab. They were armed with grenades, suicide vests and automatic weapons and opened fire at the entrance to the international terminal.
Video shows an attacker on the ground after a police officer shot him. Seconds later, he blew himself up.
The Turkish prime minister said there are indications this was the work of ISIS, and U.S officials have said the evidence leans in that direction, but so far there’s been no claim of responsibility.
The aftermath was a scene of horror in one of the world’s busiest airports following the attack. Many people who witnessed it looked to be in shock – including Adam Keally – a tourist from Boston.
“People were shooting from one side, and we all ran the other way, and then bombs went off and people started running the other way, and there was more shooting and we came out, and after that I think there was another bomb,” said Keally.
Following the deadly incident, world leaders came out condemning the attack.
President Barack Obama called Turkey’s president to offer condolences and promised America’s support in the investigation.
“We stand by Turkey and we intend to do what it takes to make sure these kinds of things aren’t happening,” said President Obama.READ MORE: 2 Hospitalized Following Shooting On Turnpike
Tuesday’s attack is the latest in a spate of deadly suicide bombings in Turkey over the last year.
The Turkish authorities have blamed ISIS for some of them including two that targeted foreign tourists but unlike similar attacks in Europe, ISIS has never claimed responsibility.
Other bombings were carried out by Kurdish separatists – members of an ethnic minority who are locked in a long-running conflict with the Turkish state.
Relatives of the injured waited for news Wednesday morning. Their loved ones were caught up in an act of terror, in a country that used to be an island of stability in the Middle East but is now descending deeper into chaos and violence.
The attack has prompted airports around the world to tighten security – including in South Florida.
Miami International Airport is increasing police presence inside and outside terminals – on the lookout for anything suspicious. Bomb-sniffing dogs were spotted on patrol.
In New York, the port authority says officers with tactical weapons will now be on patrol at New York area airports.
Authorities said they will continue to monitor the situation in Turkey alongside federal and local officials, including the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force.
Just this week, the U.S. State Department warned U.S. citizens about increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey.
Now that is raising questions about what authorities may have known ahead of the attack.
“Certainly seems to suggest that there was additional information to the U.S. and certainly to the Turks that there were threats,” said Juan Zarate with CBS News.MORE NEWS: Miami Weather: Enjoy Cooler Temps, Warmer Trend On The Way
The airport in Istanbul has reopened as investigators try to determine if anyone may have helped the bombers.