Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

PORT ST. LUCIE (CBSMiami) – The owner of a Port St. Lucie gun shop where Omar Mateen purchased two of the guns used in the deadly mass shooting at an Orlando nightclub says he wishes he had not chosen his shop.

READ MORE: Seminole Tribe Asks Appeals Court For Stay In Sports Betting Case

“An evil person came in here and legally purchased two firearms from us and if he hadn’t purchased them from us, I’m sure he would have gotten them from another gun store in the area,” said store owner Ed Henson who is also a former NYPD detective. “This man held multiple security licenses. He had an armed and unarmed license. He passed a background check that every single person that purchases a firearm in the state of Florida undergoes.”

He went on, “I am sorry he picked my place. I wish he picked no place.”

Henson clarified that Mateen did not buy the Glock and the assault rifle at the same time. Officials said Mateen bought the guns on June 4th and 5th. According to officials, a 38 caliber weapon was found inside Mateen’s vehicle but it is unknown if that weapon was used for his work as a security guard.

Henson had little to say about his experience with Mateen.

“He’s familiar to me, vaguely. I don’t know him personally,” said Henson.

He addressed reports that he may have been trying to purchase body armor before the attacks.

“I have no recollection of anyone asking for body armor, number 1, number 2, we’ve never sold body armor and we don’t currently sell body armor,” said Henson.

At least 49 people died in the deadly massacre with 53 other people injured in Pulse nightclub early Sunday. Mateen later died in a stand-off between law enforcement.

There are also several new developments and details about Mateen.

The Orlando Sentinel, Orlando’s major newspaper, is reporting the killer’s wife is not cooperating with investigators.

Meanwhile, Fort Pierce police have a different type of investigation on their hands at the condominium complex where Mateen lived.

Police discovered the back door to his condo had been pried open, but who did it remains a mystery.

“From my understanding, everything was secured when everyone left but as I said I’m going to be following up on that as well,” said Chief Diane Hobley-Burney.

As more details emerge about Mateen’s background, neighbors at the Woodland Condominium Complex in Fort Pierce where Mateen lived are still in shock.

“It still hasn’t registered 100 percent that this man lived 100 feet from us,” said neighbor Jason Beers. “I’ve gone up to him and, like I said, I said ‘good morning’ to him. How are you doing?’ And he wouldn’t reply. He would just look at me like, ‘Who are you?”

A glimpse of Omar Mateen's condo. (Source: CBS4)

A glimpse of Omar Mateen’s condo. (Source: CBS4)

READ MORE: COVID Omicron Variant: US Imposes Travel Ban From Eight African Countries

The condo where Mateen lived now sits empty with the back door open, giving a small glimpse into the place he called home.

Mateen’s father Seddique Mir Mateen addressed the media at his home in Port St. Lucie Monday morning and condemned his son’s actions.

“I apologize for what he did.  I’m as sad and mad as you guy are.  I hope they have a speedy recovery,” said Seddique Mir Mateen.

Mateen’s father said he’s also trying to understand what lead his son to commit such a horrific act.

But in a Facebook posting after his son’s attack on the Orlando gay nightclub. He said in the post, “God will punish those who are involved in homosexuality.”

But he denied expressing such a thought to CBS News.

“I didn’t talk.  I didn’t talk about none of that,” he said. “What he did was… he did something on his own.  I never approve such action to anybody.”

According to CNN, Mateen traveled to Saudi Arabia twice for pilgrimage. He also attended the same mosque as Moner Mohammad Abusalha – an American suicide bomber from Florida who blew himself up in Syria in May of 2014.

Authorities say Mateen called 911 and pledged allegiance to ISIS during the attack. While the terrorist organization took credit for the attack, the FBI has yet to uncover a clear link between Mateen and ISIS.

RELATED STORIES:

Obama: Orlando Massacre Appears To Be Homegrown

Father Of Orlando Massacre Gunman Condemns His Son’s Actions

Scott Seeks Federal Emergency Declaration After Attack

Orlando Release Some Names Of Those Killed In Club Shooting

Waiting Game: Victims’ Family & Friends Prepare For The Worst

Former Co-Worker Calls Orlando Shooting Suspect Angry, Profane

Message Of Solidarity, Gun Control At Vigil For Orlando Massacre Victim

FBI Calls Orlando Massacre A Domestic Act Of Terrorism

MORE NEWS: Cyber Monday Shopping Expected To Break Records

Mass Shooting Suspect On FBI Radar Since 2013