Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Miami prosecutors are expected to announce in August whether or not a South Florida teen, arrested for killing a homeless man, will be tried as an adult.
The 16-year-old is charged with second degree murder for pushing Thomas Muloni into the Miami River where he drowned.
Muloni, in his 30s, was most recently a student in Orlando at Full Sail University in April of 2013.
It’s not known what caused his life to change so much between then and now and for him to become homeless.
The arrest report states Muloni was sleeping along the Miami River on May 24th when the teen, who was fishing nearby with a friend, started to harass him. Then the teen pushed him into the river, according to Muloni’s friends. There was nothing they could do for him.
Manuel Perez said, “I see him but I don’t see him in the water,” said Manuel Perez. “He couldn’t swim he couldn’t swim.”
The teen, charged with second degree murder, was in juvenile court Monday.
In 21 days, prosecutors will announce whether he will be charged as an adult.
The teen allegedly stole Muloni’s bag as he was drowning, hopped on his bike and took off.
A day later, Miami Police found the homeless man’s body washed ashore at NW North River Drive and West Flagler St. The medical examiner’s office ruled the death a homicide.
Another of Muloni’s friends, who is also homeless, said they had no way of immediately calling for help.
“I felt bad cause he was a person. He had no way of surviving,” said Roberto Rodriguez.
In an interview last week, the teen’s mom said he was a nice kid.
“Everybody that knew him would tell you he’s good,” the teen’s mother said. “He opens gates for people, he opens cars for women, older people–he take care of them, help them out when they go to the doctor. He’s just not that type of person.”
But Thomas Muloni’s friends say otherwise. They miss their friend and they’re afraid.
Records by the Homeless Trust show Muloni was not homeless for a very long time.