MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The longest running variety show on television, “Sábado Gigante,” is saying adios, amigos.
On Saturday Don Francisco, the host of “Sábado Gigante,” will address his departure as the show, after 53 years, is coming off the air later this year.
Univision announced Friday that the final show will air on September 19th.
The host of the show, 74-year-old Mario Kreutzberger, better known as Don Francisco, helped create the show and often said he was inspired by shows he saw on English language television.
CBS4’s Marybel Rodriguez said Don Francisco gave her her big break on his television show. For six years, she was a spokes model on the show.
“It was a huge part of my career and my life,” said Rodriguez who was also proposed to on-air during the show.
As for Don Francisco, he was the Chilean son of a Holocaust survivor. He said he fell in love with television while in New York studying to be a tailor. When he returned home, he said he had a change of heart and launched the show in 1962.
Years later, he brought his talents to Miami and Univision began producing the the show in 1986. He had been there ever since. He is known for his crazy comedies, dancing, singing and for launching many careers.
Univision said Don Francisco will continue with the network doing entertainment specials.