Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A 22-year-old Hollywood man is behind bars in an identity theft case involving dozens of current and former Miami-Dade Public School students.

Renardo Anthony Smith is charged with criminal use of personal identification information after Miami-Dade Schools Police said he admitted to possessing some lists with some very sensitive information.

CLICK HERE To Watch Peter D’Oench’s Report 

According to an arrest affidavit obtained by CBS4 News, the lists contained more than 50 names, dates of birth and social security numbers. School police said a check of the names on the lists revealed that the majority of the victims are former and current students.

The affidavit said Smith and a friend were in a vehicle that was stopped at 5:30 p.m. on Friday on N.W. 183rd St. at N.W. 1st Ave. during a traffic stop that was part of a gang sweep.

The officers said when they approached the car they detected a strong smell of marijuana coming from it.

They searched the car for contraband and found none. But they said they did find the lists. They said Smith admitted that both lists belonged to him.

Smith came before a judge in bond court in Miami on Monday where there was testimony that the victims’ names were from all over Miami-Dade County.

A prosecutor said the victims were contacted and it was verified that personal information had been used.

It’s not known how Smith reportedly obtained the information.

Schools spokesman John Schuster told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench that he could not comment because there was an ongoing investigation.

In bond court, Smith slumped down and buried his head and was told “Mr. Smith, stand up please. You are in court.”

Smith was asked what he did for a job.

He said, “I work in construction.”

Smith was given an assistant public defender.

He was held on $50,000 bond. If he posts it, he will be under house arrest.

Peter D'Oench

Comments