Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

NORTH MIAMI BEACH (CBSMiami) — After public outrage over a South Florida sniper team using the mug shots of black men for target practice, the city of North Miami Beach is moving forward with an investigation into the police department.

READ MORE: Judge gives initial OK to $1B deal in Surfside condo collapse

North Miami Beach city leaders will meet Thursday morning with the NAACP, ACLU and other organizations to discuss who will perform the independent investigation into the North Miami Beach Police Department practices and training procedures, said Mayor George Vallejo.

Last week, city council members voted to ban the use of any images depicting real people for target practice and made a public apology.

READ: Public Outrage Prompts Changes Over Use Of Mug Shots As Targets

Several citizens have called for the North Miami Beach Police chief to be punished or resign in wake of the scandal.

READ MORE: Fort Lauderdale Police: 2 Stabbed, 1 In Custody

CBS4’s Travell Eiland asked Mayor Vallejo, “Are you still confident in the police chief?”

“Well I have been advised not to really comment on anything further because of the fact that we are actually conducting a full investigation,” responded Vallejo. “The most important thing is that I will never allow anything to disrupt the harmony and goodwill that exists in our multi-cultural city.”

The mayor said after Thursday’s meeting, the city manager and city attorney will facilitate choosing which agency will conduct the investigation.

The city will also create a citizens review board to address any future incidents.

MORE NEWS: Miami-Dade Police Marine Units To Conduct Boating Under The Influence Checks This Weekend

Click here to watch the report.