Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

FT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – The man accused of shooting a sailor on Thanksgiving faced a judge in a Fort Lauderdale courtroom on Wednesday.

READ MORE: Heat's Dewayne Dedmon, Magic's Wendell Carter Fined By NBA

Broward Sheriff’s deputies arrested Terrance Jolly, 24, on Wednesday on charges of attempted murder and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon in connection to the shooting of 29-year old Anthon Adams.

“According to this arrest report, the victim’s brother was able to identify one of the marauders, who led investigators to the rest, including Jolly, who police say gave a full confession,” said Gina Carter with the Broward Sheriff’s Office.

The police report gives no motive for the assault on the brother.

But for Adams, after undergoing various surgeries, there was some good news from Broward Medical Center North.

“We’re hoping that he will recover,” said Carter.

In his intensive care bed on Wednesday, he spoke for the first time since being shot while trying to be a peacemaker.

Broward Sheriff’s detectives said Adams was at his family’s Thanksgiving celebration in North Lauderdale which ended in tears after the shooting.

CLICK HERE To Watch Gary Nelson’s Report

READ MORE: Easy To Spot The Bright Planet Venus In Early December

Adams who is serving his second tour with the Navy had driven down from his base in Georgia to see his family especially his two daughters, 8 and 9-years old.

“He lives for his girls” his mother Sandra Adams.” Every chance he gets, he’s here to see them.”

Adams was in front of his mother’s apartment at 7491 SW 10th Court with his brother when four men confronted his brother and started a fight.

Adams tried to break up the fight when deputies said Jolly started firing hitting Adams several times.

Deputies said Jolly fled, leaving a family stunned and in tears.

Jolly has been arrested nine times in Broward County since 2007. Prior charges include battery, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, grand theft and resisting arrest.

He also had been released from a recent incarceration in April of 2014.

“This is a man who has a long history of arrest already. He’s only 24-years old.  He had just been released from a previous incarceration and now he’s going back in,” said Carter.

Earlier this month, deputies had also named a suspect, Andrew Simmons, 26, in connection to the shooting but said he will not be charged in this case.

MORE NEWS: Missing North Miami Beach Teen Jeimy Henrriquez Has Been Found

RELATED CONTENT:
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]