Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter
TALLAHASSEE (AP) — The daughter of former Democratic Sen. and Gov. Bob Graham beat Republican Congressman Steve Southerland in one of the country’s most expensive congressional races.
The Associated Press declared Gwen Graham the winner Tuesday, as she held a 1 percentage point lead over Southerland with 99 percent of the precincts reported.
Graham’s campaign criticized the partisanship in Washington, saying Congress needed someone who would use the “north Florida way” of cooperating despite party differences.
Southerland was elected during the tea party movement in 2010. He said Graham would support policies supported by President Barack Obama and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi.
The Center for Responsive Politics listed the contest as the eight-most expensive congressional race in the country, with more than $14 million spent.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Chinese Woman Charged With Illegally Entering President Trump’s Mar-A-Lago Resort Wants To Fire Attorneys
- Iconic Florida Scholar Sandy D’Alemberte Dies At 85
- Democratic Presidential Hopeful Pete Buttigieg Makes South Florida Campaign Stop
- Conservative Florida Supreme Court Eyes Key Death Penalty Issue
- Seven Florida Ballot Initiatives To Keep An Eye On