MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Miami-Dade commissioners are expected to give final approval Tuesday to pool safety regulations that could save lives.
The legal changes stem from CBS4’s series of reports of children shocked and killed in pools.
CBS4’s David Sutta found two sets of rules when it came to pool lighting.
Commerical pools are required to have low voltage, which is safer. Meanwhile, residential pools are allowed to have high voltage, which can be deadly in an accident.
One child, 7-year-old Calder Sloan, lost his life when he was electrocuted in his family’s pool.
Days later, in Hialeah, surveillance cameras captured the chaos at the Palms West apartments when three children had to be pulled from the pool when a pump sent an electrical charge into the water.
Commissioner Audrey Edmonson sponsored the legislation after seeing the CBS4 report. The move would make Miami-Dade the first county in the state to mandate low voltage and eliminate the double standard.
The measure passed unanimously this summer on its first vote.
Once the low voltage mandate is passed, it will become law about 30 days later.
Broward County has already started the process to pass a similar law.
For more information, visit calderslegacy.com/poolsafety.
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]