DAVIE (AP) — Miami Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan was suspended Friday for the second time this year for a violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy, and he must sit out the next four games without pay.
As a result of the two violations, Jordan will miss the year’s first six games. He’s undergoing treatment, the Dolphins said.
Jordan was first suspended July 3 after testing positive for a prohibited stimulant. That suspension, originally for four games, was lifted under terms of the league’s new policy on performance-enhancing substances that took effect Wednesday.
As the Dolphins were notified Friday that the suspension was lifted, they were advised of the second suspension, coach Joe Philbin said.
“While we were disappointed to learn of this result, we support Dion for proactively taking steps to voluntarily seek treatment to better himself,” Philbin said in a statement. “We will continue to support and work with him as he takes advantage of all available resources during this time.”
Jordan, the third overall pick in the 2013 draft, will be eligible to rejoin practice and return to the Dolphins’ active roster Oct. 20.
“I am working hard to become a better man and to make better choices in the future,” he said in a statement. “I am especially looking forward to returning to the team.”
Jordan, who added more than 15 pounds of bulk last offseason in an effort to improve his game, was allowed to participate in training camp and preseason games before his first suspension began. He played in all 16 games as a rookie last year, but was hampered by a shoulder injury and didn’t make the impact the Dolphins had anticipated.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
[display-posts category=”dolphins” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]