MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The show must go on according to Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez, who said the county will not cancel the upcoming concert of the controversial Cuban musical group Buena Fe.
“I do not support the musical group Buena Fe or condone any inflammatory statements their members may have made in the past,” Gimenez said in a statement.READ MORE: 23rd Annual 'A Home For The Holidays At The Grove' Comes To CBS On Sunday, December 5th
Gimenez asked for guidance from County Attorney Robert Cuevas whether or not the event could be cancelled.
Cuevas advised the mayor the county was contractually obligated with the organizers and cancellation would clash with the First Amendment.
The controversy behind Buena Fe stems from its participation in Fidel Castro’s birthday party earlier this year and its performance at Hugo Chavez’s funeral.READ MORE: Sharp Increase In Hospitalized Children With Covid Investigated In South Africa
This is not the first time there is controversy in Miami over Cuban musical group coming to play. In 1999 Los Van Van were met by more than 4,000 protesters.
Even in the midst of controversy, Cuban bands kept pouring in. In 2010 Los Van Van, Buena Fe and La Charanga Habanera performed in Miami, and each groups’ concerts sold out.
Gimenez is aware of the trend and knows protesters are bound to show up. He covered that possibility in his statement.
“Anyone in the community who does not support the appearance of Buena Fe in Miami is free to not attend the event. We also respect our residents’ right to peaceful protest,” his statement read.
RELATED CONTENT:MORE NEWS: Florida Panthers Find Ways To Rally Again, Top Blues 4-3 In Shootout
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]