CORAL GABLES (CBSMiami) — Residents of Coral Gables are taking their complaints to city hall. They’re concerned about what they said is an increased number of home and car break-ins.
The most recent break-in happened Tuesday morning in San Amaro. On September 9th around 10:00 a.m., a man was spotted running out of a house, into a blue car, carrying a drawer. The two sped off.
Another report was filed just 24 hours earlier nearby at the home of 92-year old Anne Leidel who was out playing golf when she said they broke in through the back of her house and it was a motion detector that made them leave quickly.
She was out playing golf when she said they broke in through the back of her house and it was this that made them leave quickly. Her motion detector sounded.
They opened this drawer where I had my pearls and a beautiful gold necklace,” said Leidel.
Leidel’s engagement ring her late husband gave her 72 years ago was stolen.
“Well I was sad cause I knew I lost things I treasured,” said Leidel who also happens to be the mother of former Coral Gables Mayor Don Slesnick.
“I think that there’s a problem that needs to be addressed and how the administration department and the administration of the city is handling this,” said Slesnick.
As a response, the city’s put a command post up last week so there is a quick response to whatever may happen. This post is in direct response to the recent break-ins and complaints.
Ariel Fernandez, a concerned citizen, lives in the North Gables and took it upon himself to go door to door to raise awareness and rally support for change. He said he’s knocked on 2,000 doors.
“We get home every day and we’re not sure if our house has been broken into,” said Fernandez.
Residents say there is at least a break-in a day but the police chief said burglaries are not up. He said it’s quite the contrary and they are committed to safety.
“That commitment has resulted in a 25 percent decrease this year in burglaries. Let me repeat, crime is down in Coral Gables,” said Police Chief Dennis Weiner.
Commissioner Vince Lago said he requested a list of recent break-ins and while it looked like the numbers were down, he claims the report was incomplete and not all the break-ins were listed.
But Leidel said she knows hers is on the record. Leidel said this is the first break-in at her home in 35 years.
“I mean everyone seems to think I should be scared to live here. I don’t feel that way at all. I think someone desperately needed money and they tried to get it the best way they could,” said Leidel.
Neighbors said they would like to see more patrols car in the area.That’s one suggestion that will be brought up Thursday morning at the commission meeting where it’s expected to be a packed house at Coral Gables city hall.
- Officer Dies After ATV Crash In Southwest Miami-Dade
- Miami Beach Officer Accusing Fellow Officer Of Punching Unarmed Citizen In Face
- Florida High School Massacre Commission Considers School Safety Plans
- UM Doctors Release Findings On ‘Sonic Attacks’ On US Diplomats Living In Cuba
- Zoo Miami Gorilla Undergoes Extensive Physical Exam