LOS ANGELES (AP) — “Guardians of the Galaxy” blasted past expectations at the weekend box office.
Studio estimates Sunday show Marvel’s cosmic romp starring Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana as members of an intergalactic band of mercenaries earned $94 million in its debut weekend.
Box office analysts initially projected the comic book adaptation would earn between $60 million and $75 million in North America.
The launch shatters the record for the biggest opening of a film in August and makes “Guardians” the third largest opening in 2014.
“Guardians” distributor Disney says the film hauled in an additional $66.4 million in international territories.
Marvel announced at Comic-Con in San Diego earlier this month that a “Guardians” sequel will be released in 2017.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Paul McCartney Joins James Corden For Drive Down Memory Lane For ‘Carpool Karaoke’
- Buzz Pop Cocktails Contain More Alcohol Than A Glass Of Wine
- ABC Orders ‘Roseanne’ Spinoff For Fall, Minus Roseanne Barr
- Suspect In Murder Of Rap Artist XXXTentacion Appears Before Judge
- Fashion Designer Kate Spade’s Funeral Held In Kansas City