DAVIE (CBSMiami) – Jonathan Martin checked himself into a South Florida hospital to be treated for emotional distress in the days after leaving the Miami Dolphins, according to ESPN.com.

The ESPN report said Martin’s hospital stay in South Florida to get emotional help was “brief” and that he returned to California with his parents. ESPN said the specific condition martin was getting help with wasn’t known, but was related to his belief he had been harassed by teammate Richie Incognito.

READ MORE: Have You Seen This Woman? Andreae Lloyd Missing After Being Abducted From Miami-Dade Home

According to the ESPN report, Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin visited Martin while he was in the hospital, but the offensive tackle never disclosed “any specific incident of harassment or bullying when the coach made the hospital visit.

The ESPN.com report said people who know Martin said he never told anyone he wants to leave the sports. That contradicts what ESPN’s Cris Carter said Dolphins center Mike Pouncey told him that Martin had thought about quitting football before he left the team last week.

READ MORE: Jury Reaches Verdict Of Manslaughter In Dayonte Resiles Murder Trial, Then Goes Back To Deliberating Room

Former Stanford teammates David DeCastro and Andrew Luck told ESPN they have both talked to Martin and said he was doing okay outside of football.

Incognito remains suspended for at least the next four games as the Dolphins and the NFL investigate Martin’s claims. Text of a voicemail of Incognito making alleged threats and using racist language has been leaked to the media and is part of the evidence Martin turned over to the team.

MORE NEWS: South Florida's Lane & Cameron Bess Set To Become First Father-Son Duo To Travel To Space Aboard Blue Orbit Spacecraft

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported late Wednesday afternoon that NFL Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith has called a meeting with the agents of Martin and Incognito in Florida to “discuss how damaging the situation is.”