SANFORD (CBSMiami/AP) — The jury in the George Zimmerman murder trial will be sequestered after Judge Debra Nelson agreed with lawyers from both sides that sequestration was needed.
According to the Miami Herald’s David Ovalle, sequestered jurors would have some visitation with family that would be monitored by court security and limited contact with the outside world.READ MORE: COVID In Florida: Cases, Positivity Rates, Deaths Rise Amid Coronavirus Surge
For the past three days, attorneys and prosecutors have interviewed 24 potential jurors for the trial of Zimmerman, the man charged in shooting unarmed Trayvon Martin in 2012, but they are still 10 short of being able to go on to the next round of questioning.
Attorneys are questioning potential jurors to see what they know, or how much exposure they have had to Zimmerman’s, who is pleading not guilty to second-degree murder, fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin claiming self-defense during an altercation in a Sanford gated community.
Interviewing will proceed Thursday as they are in need of 30 potential jurors to get past the initial round of questioning.
Once the 30 potential jurors are selected, the next round of interviewing will be geared to get more in-depth into their views and life experiences.
Four potential jurors were dismissed Wednesday, raising the total of jury candidates who have been disqualified to 75.
At the start of questioning Thursday, 20 potential jurors were in the pool of candidates to be interviewed in the next round. Attorneys need to find six jurors and four alternates. In Florida, 12 jurors are required only for criminal trials involving capital cases, when the death penalty is being considered.READ MORE: 'Biggest Tragedy Is Preventable Loss Of Life': Memorial Healthcare System Chief Urges Public To Get COVID Vaccine
Attorneys had interviewed 24 potential jurors by the end of the third day of selection, including 10 Wednesday. A total of 20 have been held over for the next round of questioning.
Among those interviewed was a white man in his 20s who left the courtroom without being asked questions by defense attorneys after he gave answers to prosecutors indicating he wouldn’t be impartial. The juror, known as “R-39” because potential panelists can be identified only by their numbers, said that “murder is murder,” even if it’s self-defense. Zimmerman, 29, is pleading not guilty to second-degree murder, claiming he shot Martin in self-defense.
A 44-day delay in Zimmerman’s arrest led to protests around the U.S. more than a year ago. Critics questioned whether the Sanford Police Department was seriously investigating the case of Martin, a black teen from the Miami area. Zimmerman identifies himself as Hispanic.
Potential jurors who were questioned Wednesday also included a white man in his 50s whose prior Facebook posting earned a question from Judge Debra Nelson. The nature of the posting wasn’t disclosed but the judge asked the self-described painter and musician if he had made it. He said yes and left the courtroom a few minutes later. Earlier in the questioning, he said he thought Zimmerman should have been arrested but he hadn’t formed an opinion on his guilt or innocence.
Nelson has said she will keep the identities of the selected jurors anonymous but she rejected a defense request to sequester the initial jury pool of 500 residents.
After Wednesday’s courtroom session had ended, Martin’s father, Tracy Martin, said his family felt good so far about the jury selection process.
Tracy Martin said, “We are encouraged as a family that we can get justice for our son Trayvon, and we expect the public to come forth and be honest as potential jurors.”MORE NEWS: Florida Becoming Epicenter Of Coronavirus Outbreak
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)