MIAMI BEACH (CBS4) –The former South Florida Roman Catholic Priest caught locking lips with his lover on the beach and then left the church to marry her spoken candidly about his story and his new TV show.

Father Alberto Cutie announced Tuesday he will host the talk show “Father Albert” on FOX Television stations. “It’ll be everything from sex to salvation,” Father Alberto told The Hollywood Reporter Tuesday in Miami during the NATPE TV trade show.

And in his first interviews with local news reporters since leaving the Catholic Church, the 41-year-old Father Cutie told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench, “For me this is an old direction, I did this for 11 years in Spanish.” His previous TV show, “Padre Alberto,” had been broadcast to millions of people in 22 countries.

“I’ve been invited to speak and reach out to people with their dilemmas and that is something I know a little bit about,” said Father Cutie. He’ll talk to people about relationships and important dilemmas today, such as overcoming fear.

“Fear always paralyzes people and I experienced that in my own life,” said Father Cutie. “I was afraid to come out and say, ‘Oh listen, I’m in love and let’s move on.’ Fear paralyzes people in their work and their profession and it can stifle you. We need to overcome that.”

He spoke to D’Oench beside a copy of his new book, “Dilemma.” He speaks about his theological differences with the Catholic Church, including its demands for priests to be celibate. “It’s a process where I began to understand there were many things I could not accept as important for the 21st century and I think one issue is celibacy.”

“My wife is someone I feel in love with and she’s wasn’t looking to fall in love with a Roman Catholic priest and I wasn’t looking to fall in love with her, but things happen in life,” said Father Cutie. “The dilemma I see in the book is somebody who has a one-way road that determines that this is the way the rest of your life is going to be and ends up seeing that there’s not a way that God wants you to walk and people should be allowed to change their mind. People should be allowed to change their direction.”

“There’s no difference in the job description in the Episcopal church,” said Father Cutie. “It’s just a different place and a different geography. Our congregations are smaller but I do the same work I always did. The governance is different. There’s a little more democracy in our church.”

Father Cutie’s new show will preview later this year in various cities including New York and Los Angeles, the country’s top two markets, and may be picked up nationwide if it’s popular. It may even be shot in both English and Spanish formats because of Father Albert’s huge following in Latin America.

Cutie previously hosted a weekly talk show on the Spanish-language Telemundo Network. His self-help book, “Real Life, Real Love,” became a Spanish-language market best-seller in 2006 and earned him the nickname “Father Oprah.” He recently published a second book, “Dilemma: A Priest’s Struggle with Faith and Love” this month.

Father Alberto left the Roman Catholic Church two years ago over ideological differences and to marry the woman he loved on June 26th, 2009. Cutie was received as an Episcopal priest on May 29th of 2010.  On November 30th, 2010, he and his wife Ruhama, welcomed their first child, a daughter named Victoria.

He says he’s disappointed but not bitter about the provocative pictures from paparazzi that were published in the magazine, “TV Notas.”

“The truth of the matter is that I understand that it’s a business and I understand they need to take pictures to make a living and make money. I never took it personally. But it’s unfortunate because there’s someone on the other end and sometimes tabloids forget that the person on the other end is a human being and you should respect them and not make up stories,” he said.

Father Cutie is the principal pastor at the Church of the Resurrection in Biscayne Park and attendance has risen significantly since he’s been there.

“I think the more welcoming a church is the more it is what God wants,” said Father Cutie. “I think God-like, welcoming, love and compassion is what we’re being called to do. I think churches today face the same challenges as always. You have to go out in the world and proclaim the good news. That’s the challenge we all have. The message of God is a message of love, compassion and forgiveness.”

And he says receives a great deal of love from Ruhama and her 16-year-old son, Christian, from her first marriage who lives with them.

“My wife has blessed me in many ways and now I have a 16-year-old boy and a newborn child to share that love with,” said Father Cutie. “You know I never thought I would be changing diapers in the middle of the night. But I share that responsibility with my wife and it’s a beautiful thing. I really do connect with the people in our church because they are doing that, too, all the time.”

(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Peter D'Oench

Comments (39)
  1. Henry Alvarez says:

thats what love is all about.

2. Angelina Licea says:

He is an embarassment to the Catholic religion. I would like his mailing address to forward three of his books my father purchased from him when he was scamming people at Westland Mall . He is a joke. Why give him the attention.

3. Johnny Wiley says:

I disagree with you Angelica, who are you to judge him? He didn’t do anything wrong. Celibacy is not biblical , it was imposed by the Catholic church int he 12th or 13th Century because priests married and had family back then, and when they died, their family got the inheritance and not the Church.

1. Lupita Sarmiento says:

Good point Johnny, I agree with you…!!! And I belong to the Roman Catholic Church. I think he should stop dressing as a priest on his personal presentations and be more liberal. Many of us will follow him anyway.l

2. Nora Aocsta says:

I so have to agree with Johnny Wiley,as priest now-a-days need to be married,ortherwise they can’t understand and give advise on family and marriage,as we experienced when we lost our 21 yr. old son.to murder. The priest,all he could say is he is in a better place,etc.He had no idea the pain of loosing a child. We needed Spiritual Help so bad,and didn’t get it. ~~ I’m happy that Fr. Alberto found love,but he went about it the wrong way. ~~ My disappointment is putting the church down to shame,but yet he knows and has heard and experienced this happings on his own. ~~ It has changed my opinion of what goes on with our Chrurch,but I will surely die a Chatholic and am very proud to have been born and raised to be one. Now,with this knowledge,I will just live my old time upbrining and die as such. ~~ We need married Priest. I hope to see it before my time in life ends. .

1. Peter says:

I don’t believe that married priests is the answer to these problems. As Saint Paul says in 1 Cor 7:32-35, if a priest is married, then how would he be able to serve his people if he has his own family to take care of? One might counter and say that protestant ministers are married and are still able to “care” for their congregation, but I would respond by saying that the priest does a whole lot more for the people put under his care then the protestant minister. Try shadowing a priest for a week and see if he actually has time to set aside to raise his own family and still be able to minister to the hundreds of thousands of people in his parish.

4. Linus Perez says:

Johnny,

Do a little research please. Priests NEVER got married. It is true that married men were at one time ordained as priests. In fact it is still permitted in many parts of the Catholic Church to this day. Celibate Priests have always existed. Additionally, celibacy was not imposed on him. He chose to be a celibate Catholic priest.

It is important to note that even where married priests are permitted (including the Eastern Orthodox) unmarried priests may not get married. This is why the Eastern Church was not an option for him. If he wanted to continue to be called “Father” he had no choice but to become an Episcopalian. In other words, “Pride” got to him.

Furthermore, the Church does not even have the authority to permit ordained Priests to marry. One thing that really disturbs me about Cutie is that keeps lying about this subject. He likes to make people believe the Church could change it policy. As I stated above, the Church does not have this authority. Furthermore, if it did change this policy, it would end all possibility of reunification with the Eastern Orthodox Churches (who do permit married men to be priests).

5. Wilis Cepeda says:

God bless him! He’s only now discovering what real Christianity is. Bible-based Christianity, that is Keeping man-made rules doesn’t make a Christian..

1. steven hensley says:

He certainly will not learn about Bible-based Christianity in the Episcopal Church. Neo-paganism maybe, but not Christianity.

1. wilis cepeda says:

Methinks you,re right. Sorry about that.

2. Maggie says:

sweet heart, the bible you have is based on th bible compiled by the Roman Catholic Church. And celibacy is scripture- Christ never married. Isnt it His life we are supposed to immitate? or are His words the only part of scripture we are supposed to pay attention to? Christ is the priest of priests and his life was one of celibacy, prayer, and service.

1. wilis cepeda says:

The Bible never says anything about Our Lord Jesus Christ’s marital status or Him being celibate. I would be wary of making statements that are not supported by Scripture. We just don’t know anything about that. Our Lord didn’t deem it important for us to know that. Let’s leave it the way He wanted

6. Ana says:

I hope all who are judging him are without sin. Remember priests are not God, they are imperfect human beings like the rest of us. What would Jesus do? He would forgive him.

1. Linus Perez says:

No one has passed judgment on Cutie. As for your question “What would Jesus do?” Well based on the verses of scripture to which you are referring I would imagine Jesus would forgive him and then tell him to “Go and sin no more.” Of course, Cutie has not acknowledged his sins, so that might be a problem. What do you think?

1. wilisa cepeda says:

Why do you say that he sinned by getting married. The Bible say that if a person gets married he or she doesn’t sin. Do you know more about sin than the Bible?

2. Linus Perez says:

Wilisa:

I didn’t specify the sin, because there are many. However, in regards to him getting married, the Gospels are clear Jesus did not accept divorce and considers those who are divorced and remarried to be adulterers as well as those who marry the divorced. “Mark 10:12 And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

1. wilis cepeda says:

I didn’t know she was divorced. Sorry about that.

7. Maggie says:

There is something called true-love. True love is not disordered and does not happen in a disordered manner . Anyone who has experience this, truely, does not get driven by these stories of infidelity.
    True love waits as long as it needs for it to happen as well as it should. For true love is prudent and does not rush to make the beloved a lover (as in the common use, meaning a person involved in adultery). For if Cutie was truely in love, he would have taken action in this relationship after going thru the process of ending his priestly roles in the Roman Catholic church, he would have stood by his decision even if he was told to think about it. For the sake of the “woman he loves”, he would have ended his relationship with the Church first. And then engaged more deeply in his affair.

I have been with my fiancee for more than two years and have witness the carefullness and the grace that comes for waiting for God’s will and his timing for our lives and our marriage. Two of our friends lived a 10 year engagemet and there was no need to rush. But instead, the waiting and self denial made the relationship all the better because they learned how to love more deeply.

Anyone can have a physical attraction, but that doesnt mean its love. Mere physical attraction rushes, true love waits.

I would have more respect for his decisions if instead of painting it all gushy and as love he would just say he was tempted and fell. But his actions show his need to justify his decision. Putting out a book, getting a t.v. show., there is a love for the spotlight.

There are many priest who suffer temptation, but not all, like the ones he names, fall. Celibacy is a gift if lived properly an there are many who have witnessed to this. It is such a gift to those who take the gift and live it well.

I hope he can read this and take a closer look in himself, for the sake of this “love” he claims. I am not judging his heart, but I am judging his action. God gave us the ability to judge so that we can see and tell the difference between right or wrong. And if anyone considerd this judgment, then they should rethink ever saying anything about the Catholic church and judge her doctrine.

1. Linus Perez says:

Very well put Maggie.

I am just also very annoyed that he keeps making it seem as if he were forced out by the Catholic Church. He keeps making it seem as though the Church could change this policy. Whether Catholics like it or not, some things cannot be changed. The Catholic Church is actually weaker than any of the Christian denominations. Depending on the denomination, these groups have change certain aspects of Christianity, such as views of pre-marital-sex, Homosexual marriage, the Eucharist, etc. Many people complain about issues such as these and urge the Church to change them. They just don’t understand the Church does not have this authority. I wouldn’t be so upset if Cutie would just say he left because he knows the Church cannot change it policy on this issue, rather than claim the Church is being stubborn on holding on to old ways. The Church has many married priests in the U.S. that were former Episcopalian married priests. The Church would have made an exception for Cutie if it were theologically possible, but is is not.

8. Pat says:

Cutié is presently serving as the Priest-in-Charge at the Church of the Resurrection in Biscayne Park, Florida. On November 30, 2010, Mrs. Cutie gave birth to the couple’s first child, daughter Camila Victoria Cutié, and with her husband they are also the parents of Christian Norton, from her first marriage.

Congrats to all of the above. I will focus on all the UGLY, in this world iand use my energy to help!

9. ccarolina gabriela says:

I dislike his new book. It shows poor class to speak the way he does about the roman catholic church. may God forgive him. He is a sinner. Like every one else.

10. DAISYMAE says:

TRUE LOVE IS GIVEN TO THOSE FROM GOD ABOVE. TRUE LOVE IS NOT DISORDERED. HIS LOVE CAME TO HIM AT THE TIME GOD CHOSE FOR BOTH OF THEM. JESUS WAS NOT MARRIED, OR SO WE THINK, BECAUSE HE CAME TO EARTH FOR A PURPOSE…TO DIE FOR US…THERE COULD NOT BE ANY BIOLOGICAL CHILDREN OF JESUS..THINK OF THAT SCANDAL. WE ARE ALL CHILDREN OF GOD. THERE IS NO SIN IN TRUE LOVE. LOVE WAITS FOR NO ONE. LOVE CANNOT BE HELD DOWN. THEY ARE NOT SINNING. THEY ARE LOVING. I AM A CRADLE CATHOLIC IN THE CONSERVATIVE TRADITION AND I STILL BELIEVE THIS. THE CATHOLIC FAITH IS BEAUTIFUL, BUT IF A RELIGIOUS FINDS LOVE THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO LIVE IT THROUGH. WE ALL NEED SOMEONE. CELEBACY IS GOOD FOR SOME BUT NOT FOR ALL. LIFE PROGRESSES AND CHANGES. THERE ARE MANY RELIGIOUS WHO ARE SCARED AND UNHAPPY BECAUSE THEY HAVE FOUND LOVE AND HAVE TO TURN FROM IT. GOD DOES NOT WANT US TO BE MISERABLE AND THIS IS NOT A TRUE CROSS.

11. Sara M says:

Lame TV is all he is. I could care less about his background or his “mistakes”. He is just ba lame personality who only seems ‘edgy’ when compared to the bland surroundings of a catholic mass. Fox and Debmar Mercury must be super desperate to find a talk show host OR are totally out of touch with what daytime audiences want. This former priest with a thick accent is NOT what mainstream American housewifes are looking for as a retreat five days a week.
    Once again, another failed talk show before it ever gets on the air. He will go down with the likes of Anderson Cooper, Nate Berkus and all of the other bizarre attempts to force weak personas into daytime tv.

12. hugo says:

Do episcopals call their priests “father”? Is he still father albert?

Anyway, his show is going to fail.

13. Anna Aguirre says:

I think his is an embarrasement to the catholic church and he should not be call padre no more I still believe in old fashion way and I don’t recall that the priest in roman catholic are married and have kids all I know is that they are married to god he should walk out of that devotion and do he’s life like every other person
    SO STOP WEARING THE PRIEST OUTFIT AND CALLING YOURSELF PADRE CAUSE YOU ARE NOT
    I HOPE HIS SHOW FAIL AND IF DOES IS BECAUSE EVEN GOD KNOWS THAT HE IS NOTHING BUT A JOKE ANOTHER DISGRASE TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH but what more can we spect besides those priest been raping boys

14. Anna Aguirre says:

OF COURSE PRIEST IN THIS COUNTRY GET MARRIED AND HAVE KIDS LIKE ANY OTHER PERSON AND THAT IS BECAUSE THEY DON’T GET INTO THE RELIGION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THEY DO IT SO PEOPLE LIKE US GOES TO CHURCH AND DONATE MONEY SO THEY CAN LIVE FOR FREE AND HAVE FAMILY THE REAL PRIEST EXIST ONLY IN THE SPANISH COUNTRIES.
    USA IS A CORRUPT COUNTRY AND THAT IS WHY WE SEE CASES LIKE THIS GUY ALBERTO THAT CALLS HIMSELF PRIEST.

15. Emily says:

Ok. I’m not a divine being in any way. I try to do the best I can, just like all of you, but this is disgusting. If this man was in the garden with eve I bet things would have turned out different for all of us baby, because we know one thing for sure, he’s fake. Period. God created man, that includes tyrants, murders, thieves, rapists etc. Fill in the blank..Hitler comes to mind..those who support his antics are falling victim to lucifer himself. He is getting big pats on the back for a sin, regardless of religious viewpoints. He knew the deal when he made the commitment…how can he marry a couple, have them take vows before him, and have it mean anything now?! Seems to me this man should be more humble in his walk for having made a mistake…instead of on a talk show saying look at me, look at me. He is putting the family he loves so dearly straight in harms way, and he’s proud of it? He’s got a gorgeous little darling that he isn’t even thinking for, because he’s now gotten sucked into more sins in search of glamor and in light of greed. There’s 7 deadly sins and he’s already got lust and Pride checked off. He’s cashing in on it…its kind of striking that soo many believe his garbage. Sick and sad…and he’s using religion to do it. Imagine if padre pio, and mother Theresa had thought like this. It may have not been God who said celibacy is the way, but the reason for it is real…to maintain focus. To cast down temptation in all forms to be able to serve others without a bias opinion. This man put a woman who disagrees on his show to publicly attempt to humiliate her for not agreeing……..I don’t recall God punishing those who didn’t agree

16. Emily says:

Everyone speaks of love like they know all about it….it’s funny. He married the church first..he should have explored his options first instead of cheating….”my momma told me, you better shop around.” 😉 to err is human, to forgive divine, but if you walk around acting like you do no wrong aren’t you just another tool for the devil?

17. Emily says:

And a side note….he didn’t even bother mentioning who the boy on the other side of his wife was on tv…..who was it?! O his step son………….and it becomes clear why he didnt mention it. I feel so sad for that poor boy. My heart and prayer goes out to him….another disgusting display by the notorious “father” albert

18. Susan Jean says:

I believe that God does not make good or bad things happen to people. I belive his gift was the freedom go make choices, How we use the gift of choice is up to us.

19. Susan Jean says:

I meant to say the freedom TO make choices

20. Debra Greene says:

I applaud Father Albert’s decsion to follow his heart, and leave the church, as oppose to those priest who stay and hurt children. I have been a Roman Catholic for over 45 years but I not longer attend church because I refuse to except any sacrament from a preist with dirty hand, and since they don’t wear signs to tell on themselves I stay away. God lives within me not in a building or in any other man so I flying solo and I talk to him everyday. And for all the na sayers haven’t you ever sined? To everyone that has to go to confession weekly who are you to cast stones? Judge not lest ye not be judged, unless of course you are perfect.

1. Peter says:

1. You say: God lives within me not in a building or in any other man so I flying solo and I talk to him everyday.
      Scripture says for you to go to church on Sunday. Why? Lots of reasons, here are two of them:
      a. “Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I.” Mt 18:20
      b. “Keep holy the Lord’s day.” 3rd Commandment (10 Commandments)
      I would add on, that you are “flying solo”, you and those that think like you who no longer attend Mass on Sundays. This just happens to be your “excuse” for no longer going.

2. You say: “I have been a Roman Catholic for over 45 years but I not longer attend church because I refuse to except any sacrament from a preist with dirty hand, and since they don’t wear signs to tell on themselves I stay away.”

I respond with your own words: “And for all the na sayers haven’t you ever sined? To everyone that has to go to confession weekly who are you to cast stones? Judge not lest ye not be judged, unless of course you are perfect.”
      Adding my own two cents: who’s doing the judging here?

3. What’s happened to Mr. Cutie is “only human”. We all fall to sin and temptation… yes even priests and those in a religious life. But how he responded to it is disgraceful. Wouldn’t you or anyone else think that it is contradicting that a man who had spent YEARS discerning his call to the priesthood, knowing full well that it is a life called to celibacy, who on the day of his ordination to the priesthood, was married to the Church (and her people) would now continue to help people in relationships? A person who basically leaves his bride (the Church) for another bride (his new “wife”), and people are applauding him for following his heart…
      Well, that looks like the America I’ve come to see in the media. So why the heck get married anymore when you can just sleep with anyone you think you’re in “love” with… isn’t that why the divorce rate is so high now and there are so many kids who are left with single parents? Please think before you let your passions take control of your mind.

21. Ximena says:

For those of you that are thinking celibate is NOT Biblical.?
    JESUS WASN’T MARRIED NEITHER ST. PAUL there is a reason for.
    DONT BE IGNORANTS!
    This Cutie gay shouldn’t be wearing the white collar he doesn’t deserve it.
    I regret I bought one of his books (boring by the way) he is just a cute face that’s all, short and fat, he should be a lawyer I strongly suggest him since he doesn’t stop talking even if it is inconsistencies.
    It seams he never learn anything about the LOVE AND FIR OF GOD.

22. zack says:

Just like the pharisees took the word of God and added their own rules and ordinances, so have many individuals and churches today. Jesus commandment to us is love. The Holy Spirit is alive and active and just like the wind, we cannot see where it comes from or where it goes. I agree with Albert that we all need to be flexible and open to the Holy Spirit calling us to change course in our life.

When churches add their own rules and doctrine that Jesus never instructed, it puts God in a box.

23. t says:

Im watching this new show called Father Albert……..and i really dont know what to say about it…….its like he’s trying to be like Dr Phil..His advice is not really helping

24. pieririri says:

this guy doesn’t have any beliefs a person who did what he did living two lives and being a hypocrate, and hiding a secret life in which he was having a relationship with a woman in all respects and then pretending to be a priest who is pure and hearing other peoples’ sins and giving advice to other people…DOESN’T MAKE ANY SENSE…THIS GUY SHOULDN’T TALK AT ALL!!!!! PLEASE SHUT UP!! AND JUST DISAPPEAR YOU DON’T DESERVE ANYTHING!!JUST DISAPPEAR FROM THE PUBLIC’S EYE!!! JUST DISAPPEAR!!! DON’T MAKE MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC’S EYE!! HOW CAN FOX CHANNEL CAN MAKE THIS SHOW WITH SOMEONE WHO DOESN’T HAVE ANY CREDIBILITY???SOMEONE WHO FOOLED EVERYONE?? HOW CAN ANYONE BELIEVE IN A WORD FROM THIS PERSON (IF YOU CAN CALL THIS A PERSON….I DON’T KNOW HOW TO CALL THIS GARBAGE REALLY….)PLEASE JUST DISAPPEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Mary says:

Cutie is not credible and contradicts himself all the time. Only idiots will watch his show. How can someone follow his advice when he couldn’t even control his life when confronted with a simple scandal or his ” dilemma”? I mean, he is not the only priest who fell in love. Many priests have and managed to have happy private lives. The only thing Cutie is good at is at is criticizing the Catholic church… now that he is an Episcopalian priest. Wow how convenient! I thought priests were spiritual but this guy instead of praying, he is on TV all the time. A Jerry Springer with a collar and his religion is “cafeteria style”.

26. ada says:

to all those that are against Father Albert decisions revolving around his life, here is something for you: judge you before you judge him or read Lucas 6:37.