Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Fire in the middle of the night at a home in northwest Miami-Dade has left a woman and her grandchildren without a home for the foreseeable future.

It happened near N.W. 139th Street and N.W. 8th Avenue.

“I wasn’t sleeping, I was in the kitchen,” Melissa Allen repeated to herself in a state of shock.

It was around 1 a.m. when she noticed the smell of smoke and the smoke alarm went off.

“It started in my room in the closet,” she cried. “I had a candle burning nearby, it must have fell.”

Smoke emanated from all corners of the roof as firefighters worked to put it out.

Although most of her belongings are gone, Allen and her grandchildren made it out safely. It’s unclear as to the extent of the damage.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Miami

Check Your BracketEnter our national Bracket Challenge game for a chance to win $5,000 Amex gift card.
Get Your Daily DoseHere's some good news just for you.
CBS4 New Home For Florida Lottery

Watch & Listen LIVE