DAVIE (CBSMiami) — Firefighters were able to put out an intense blaze in Davie Monday morning, coming from an RV.
Chopper4 was over the scene near the Davie Road extension and Stirling Road. Smoke billowing out of the RV could be seen for miles.
“The neighbor called me. He said, ‘Do you see the fire?’ I came out. I saw a large plume of smoke and that was it,” said neighbor Hully Gill.
Davie’s fire chief said 911 calls started coming in around 8:15 a.m. The blaze then spread to an adjacent home and garage.
Fire officials said the RV had propane tanks and ammunition.
“We’re now hearing what appears to be propane tanks exploding in the fire,” you could hear fire officials saying over the radio.
Davie Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Jorge Gonzalez said the tanks started leaking which fed the flames.
“The tanks, as they started heating up, the pressure in the propane tanks starts releasing through the release valve that has the gas come out and it has like a torch-like effect which now creates a big flame coming out of those propane tanks when they’re releasing, so that created a problem along with the ammunition that was sparking, going off and firing off,” said Gonzalez.
At last check, no injuries had been reported.
Hollywood Fire and Broward County Fire officials were also at the scene.
After the flames were extinguished a Hazmat team was brought in to deal with the chemicals.
As for traffic, the southbound lanes on Davie Road were closed in the area of SW 57th Avenue. Click here for the latest traffic information.