NEW YORK (CBSMiami/AP) — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says there’s no evidence that an explosion that rocked a crowded Manhattan neighborhood, injuring 29 people, had any link to an earlier blast on the Jersey Shore or to international terrorism.
Cuomo spoke Sunday morning near the site of the Saturday night blast on West 23rd Street in the Chelsea neighborhood.
He noted that the device in Manhattan appeared to be different than a pipe bomb explosion earlier Saturday in New Jersey and said he didn’t believe the two were connected.
Authorities found a second device in Manhattan a few blocks away from the one that exploded and removed it.
Cuomo says the injured have been released from the hospital. Most of the injuries were minor.
The Democratic governor also said that 1,000 additional law enforcement officers were being deployed as a precaution.
Police had earlier advised residents on the block where the device was found to stay away from windows facing 27th Street.
The blast is under investigation, and Mayor Bill de Blasio said it did not appear to be an act of terrorism.
(TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)