MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A teenager is recovering in the hospital after getting bitten by a venomous snake in Broward.
The 17-year-old is believed to have been struck by a water moccasin in the foot sometime Tuesday, August 30th. After his foot began to swell, he took himself to the hospital.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue transported antivenom cross county to Memorial Regional Hospital via air rescue and doctors were able to contain the pain and swelling.
Officials said the teen experienced more pain the following morning.
Authorities warn that the rainy season, from April to October, brings out snakes as they seek drier conditions from saturated habitats. Residents who live out west should avoid wearing open-toed sandals and be careful of tall grass.