MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — Many people walk down an aisle or perhaps plan a wedding on the beach in South Florida, but one couple exchanged vows atop a Miami hotel before rappelling down the high-rise building along with hundreds of others for a charity fundraiser.
Melissa Lopez and Chris Cruz won a contest to rappel down the JW Marriott Marquis. Before the couple said “I do” on Friday, dozens of others rappelled down the building, including Emmy Award-winner Joe Morton from the TV show “Scandal.”
The event was opened to the general public Saturday for people who raised at least $1,500.
The events benefit Miami Children’s Initiative, an organization focused on breaking the cycle of poverty in Miami’s impoverished Liberty City neighborhood.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Two Killed After Car Careens Into Pond Off I-95
- $100K Bond For Man Charged With Killing ‘Ollie’ The Dog
- Thanksgiving Tamale Tradition Nearly Turns To Tragedy In Propane Incident
- Preemie Baby Gains Strength To Go Home Just In Time For Thanksgiving
- Miami Rescue Mission Provides Thanksgiving Feast For Homeless