CORAL GABLES (CBSMiami) – Charges have been filed against a group of teens who police said walked into the Tahiti Beach home of NBA star Ray Allen.
The State Attorney’s Officer confirmed Wednesday the seven teens are facing misdemeanor trespassing charges.
Ray Allen’s attorney Gregory Victor spoke to CBS4’s Gaby Fleischman over the phone saying the Allens are satisfied with the charges.
“Ray and Shannon have been advised that the Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s Office has filed Trespass charges against the 7 intruders to their home. The determination as to what specific charges to file was entirely within the discretion of the State Attorney’s Office and the Allen’s are satisfied with both the decision to prosecute and the charges being pursued. The Allen’s are thankful that no one was hurt and they are appreciative for all the support they have received from their community,” said Victor.
On Wednesday, Acting Chief of Police Maj. Raul Pedroso released a statement regarding the charges saying, “The Coral Gables Police Department will continue to work with the Miami-Dade Office of the State Attorney and assist the Allen family as the criminal case against the individuals charged proceeds through the criminal justice system.”
Police said Alana Elizabeth Garcia, 18, Jorge Jesus Guerrero, 18, Christian John Lobo, 18, Jonathan Louis Ramirez, 19, Kevin Ramos, 18, Ernesto Romero, 18, and Angel Alejandro, 18, reportedly went into Allen’s home around 2:30 a.m. last week through an unlocked door after a party in the CocoPlum neighborhood.
The group, according to police, thought no one was home and it would be cool to see Ray Allen’s house.
The teens weren’t arrested after an investigation revealed that there wasn’t any intent to commit a crime. It was a decision criticized by the Allens who later hired an attorney.
On Saturday, Allen released a statement saying, “Miami is our home and we are proud to be active members in this community. We pray that no one else has to endure this kind of intrusion on their home or their families’ safety. Everyone deserves to feel safe in their own homes.”
The teens will receive a summons in the mail and will have to appear in court.
If found guilty, the teens could be looking at a maximum of one year in prison plus fines.
If the teenagers are first time offenders, they could participate in a pre-trial diversion program, if the Allen’s agree to it.
- Gibson Stops 50 Shots In Ducks’ 3-2 Win Over Panthers
- Pacers Run Away After Halftime, Beat Heat 120-95
- Martin Truex Jr. Caps Career Season With 1st NASCAR Title
- Dolphins Week 11 Team Grades: Erroneous Dolphins Fall To Lowly Bucs, 30-20
- Dolphins Lose To Bucs 30-20 Despite Strong Second Half Comeback By Matt Moore