MIAMI (CBSMIami/AP) — Miami street art is finding its way onto new and exciting venues.
The bold, graphic street art that has earned acclaim for Miami’s Wynwood arts district is finding a home on the ballet stage.
Miami City Ballet will debut in March a new work that is a collaboration between choreographer Justin Peck and contemporary street artist Shepard Fairey.
Peck is a soloist and resident choreographer at New York City Ballet. Fairey designed the iconic “Hope” poster for Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign.
Peck discovered Fairey’s street art in Miami last year while working with the ballet on another commission. He soon sought the artist to design a backdrop for a new work for the Miami ballet.
Peck says his choreography will not be a painting come to life, though he says his work will share some elements with Fairey’s.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- BSO Deputy Faces Sex Charges Involving Underage Teen
- Family, Friends & Veterans Pay Their Respects At Viewing For Soldier Killed In Niger Ambush
- Exclusive: Rep. Wilson Spokesperson Says Threats Against Congresswoman Intensifying
- Off-Duty Officers Taking Stand Against Kneeling NFL Players
- ‘It’s Clear They’re Linked’: Police On 3rd Suspicious Death In 10 Days