HAULOVER BEACH (CBSMiami) – A boat rescue took place Friday afternoon off Haulover Beach. The boat capsized about 150-yards offshore from 108th and Collins.
The Coast Guard responded to find the boat under the water and the occupants picked up by Miami Beach Ocean Rescue.
The 27-foot boat is called Jim & Lilly.
Officials said Jim and Lillian Swingley, husband and wife, were on the boat.
“We were just going to go for a ride the waves were too big. It turned. We couldn’t do nothing?” said Lillian Swingley.
Were you scared? CBS4’s Peter D’Oench asked.
“You bet. Just scared. Very scared,” added Swingley.
The two were not injured.
“It happened way too fast, as soon as we got out there in the ocean there were big waves” Swingley recalled.
What were you thinking? D’Oench asked.
“There was no time to think what to do. You were thinking what do we do, do we swim out here and look at the big waves.”
Shortly after the couple was rescued, their friends Jack and Louise Donahue arrived to be with them.
“This is a new boat to them. They used to have a 37 foot Carver, but this is a much smaller boat. It’s a great little boat, whether it is top heavy or just couldn’t take the wasaid ves out in the ocean,” said Louise Carver.
“Thank God some boaters were there to help them. It could have been worse than it is right now,” added Jack Donahue.
Lillian Swingley said she was grateful to the Coast Guard and Miami Beach Ocean Rescue. “Everyone was great,” she said. “They were great.”
The Swingleys are from Hallandale Beach.
- ‘Erratic Woman’ Held For Psychological Evaluation After Children Pulled From Roof
- Exclusive: Miami Gardens Police Chief Leads With Compassion, Integrity & Transparency
- Van Carrying Children Plows Into North Miami Restaurant
- Mother Of MSD Shooting Victim Asks “Where’s The Accountability” At School Board Meeting
- Man Arrested For Attempting To Abduct Four Children From Deerfield Elementary School