Officer Accused Of Helping Grow House Family Back In Court
Photos Gives Glimpse Into Case Of Canadian Consul's SonFollow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter MIAMI (CBSMiami) -- Crime scene photos have been released in the investigation of a shooting that left one son of the Canadian consul General in Miami dead and the other facing murder charges. Blood, money, drugs, and weapons all appear in crime scene photos released by the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office on Friday. Marc Wabafiyebazu, 15, is charged with felony murder in the shooting that killed his 18-year old brother Jean Wabafiyebazu as well as Joshua Wright and left two others injured. Prosecutors said the shootings happened as the Wabafiyebazu brothers were attempting to rob drug dealers. The evidence photos paint a graphic picture of the bloody scene inside the Miami apartment. Some photos show blood soaked clothing. Others show a blood-covered floor. Evidence markers are seen lining the floor and there are bullet holes in the walls. Photos also show what appear to be bags of marijuana as well as multiple guns and shell casings. Other pictures show cash and some of that cash appears to be stained with blood. Another photo shows the car with consulate plates. In court earlier this week, a judge discussed the use of that car while denying bond for Marc Wabafiyebazu despite his mother's promise that her son would follow all pretrial release rules. "What impressed me the most, or did not impress me, is she was irresponsible enough to allow an 18-year old teenager to drive a consul's car with consulate plates," said Judge Teresa Pooler on Wednesday. The judge determined Wabafiyebazu is a flight risk and will remain behind bars until his trial. In the evidence photos taken after the shooting, you can see Wabafiyebazu being photographed by police. In one picture he holds out his hands. Wabafiyabazu is being charged as an adult. He has pleaded 'not guilty.'
MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A Miami-Dade Police Officer faced a judge Friday on charges of aiding and abetting a group of people who were growing marijuana.
Roderick Silva, 45, entered a not guilty plea and asked for a trial by jury at his arraignment.
Silva also appeared in court on August 1st. He was mostly silent during his five-minute federal court bond hearing.
He was allowed to post a $50,000 corporate surety bond using his South Miami home as collateral. He was also ordered to surrender his passport and refrain from possessing a firearm.
As he left the courthouse with his wife under his arm Silva said, “I’m innocent.”
He used to serve as a detective in the Miami-Dade Police Department’s Narcotics Bureau.
He was indicted last month.
According to his indictment, Silva would allegedly provide the Santiesteban family, along with their friends and associates, confidential information indicating when detectives were investigating them, when they might have their marijuana grow houses searched, and their plants seized. He also allegedly told them about suspected grow houses operated by other growers so they could rob those grow houses of their marijuana plants.
Silva is also accused of advising them on how to avoid deflect, frustrate, and obstruct investigations.
He is also charged with extortion. He allegedly received $1,500 cash from the family on January 5, 2011 for “maintaining his silence and not disclosing to any law enforcement authorities all that he knew about the illegal, criminal activities of the Santiesteban family members.”
Silva had been on paid leave since 2009 but since his indictment, a police department spokesperson said they were moving forward to terminate him.
If convicted, he faces between 10 years to life in prison on the conspiracy charge, and up to 20 years locked up if found guilty of extortion.
- West Palm Man Sentenced For Stealing Classified Documents
- Two Fantasy 5 Players Win Jackpot, No Lotto Winner
- Florida Health Officials Host Online Summer Camp
- Challenger, Columbia Wreckage On Public Display For First Time
- 2 To Face Murder Charges After Police Find Concealed Body