MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The $1 billion Port Miami Tunnel is officially open.
The new tunnel which connects PortMiami to Miami International Airport and the interstate opened Sunday morning at 10 a.m.
Gov. Rick Scott had previously dedicated the tunnel on May 19 but the opening was continuously delayed for various problems and repairs.
“They found a couple of problems with the tunnel. One was a ventilation system, and there was a leak in one of the pipes,” said Mayor Carols Gimenez.
“We had a problem with one of the fans, then we had a problem with two fans. Soon as we had problems with two fans, we took all the of fans down. we brought them to the manufacturer,” said Christopher Hodgkins, Vice President of Miami Tunnel.
The tunnel was part of 30-years of planning. It is expected to make a difference for those driving in the downtown area by easing traffic in and around downtown Miami through diverting traffic in and out of the port.
Archbishop Thomas Wenski of Miami led the procession into the new tunnel on his Harley Davidson motorcycle along with members of the Miami Dade Police Department.
There are no tolls for the tunnel.
- Serious Accident Near Miami Seaquarium Ties Up Traffic
- Superheroes Soar Through Zoo Miami For ‘Live Like Bella’ Fundraiser
- 3-Year-Old Girl Undergoes Surgery After Being Mauled By Dog In Florida City
- Jose Fernandez’s Girlfriend Gives Birth To Baby Girl
- Dealership Taken For A Ride When $150K Maserati Disappears