MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The two-day lobster mini-season ends Thursday night at 11:59 p.m. While the mini-season is coming to a close, the regular recreational lobster season runs from August 6th through March 31st, 2015.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has undercover officers patrolling the waters looking for those who go over their limit or those hunting for ‘bugs’ without a license.
In Monroe County and Biscayne National Park there is a limit of only six lobsters per day per person during the mini-season.
The season got off to a deadly start in Pompano Beach Wednesday.
Around 8:30 a.m., Pompano Beach Fire Rescue received a call about an unconscious diver who was being brought in to the Hillsboro Inlet by boat.
Broward Sheriff’s Office identified the diver as 22-year-old Joseph Grosso.
Grosso, according to BSO, was diving for lobsters on a commercial dive boat with a large group of people off Pompano Beach.
In addition to grabbing the nets, glove, tickle sticks and whatever else needed to catch the spiny sea critters, the Coast Guard wants all those participating to practice caution before and after diving with the following tips:
- Check your dive gear before your dive and monitor your air during your dive
- Do not dive outside your physical capabilities
- Plan your dives to be well within safe time and depth limits and stick to the plan
- Dive with a buddy
- File a float plan with a family member or a nearby marina
- Mark the area in which you are diving with a dive flag and a light
- While piloting a boat, stay aware of your surroundings since divers can get separated from their
flags and boats
- Remember, taking all the basic safety precautions will facilitate an increased chance of helping or finding a diver in the event Coast Guard assistance is needed.
Click Here for the complete rules for mini-seaon.
- Taste Of The Town: South Beach’s Habitat Is A Warm, Welcoming Eatery
- President Trump To Visit Key West
- Attorney Says Jose Fernandez Probe Has Ruined His Family And Legacy
- Murder Suspect Shot And Killed On Busy Street By Fort Lauderdale Police
- Historic Transition Time In Cuba As Raul Castro Prepares For Successor