MIAMI (CBSMiami) — The Coast Guard reports the body of a missing boater has been located near the Dry Tortugas.
Monroe County Sheriff’s officials took the body to the medical examiner’s office.
Investigators said the man was on a fishing boat that began to take on water and capsized early Friday morning.
Coast Guard received a beacon alert that triggered a multi-agency rescue response. One person was safely pulled from the water by a good Samaritan.
Rescue crews covered more than 550 square miles searching for the missing boater before his body was located Saturday.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is investigating the incident.
- Mentoring Matters: Special Bond Between Mentor, Mentee Creates Unique Family
- Women Battling Illness After Breast Implants Urge Awareness, Education
- “Wheels Up, Guns Down” Riders Clog Streets In Dangerous Demonstration
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parades Pack South Florida Streets
- What Makes A Good Life? Researchers Turn To World To Find Out