SPRING HILL (CBSMiami/AP) — Two workers were cleaning out a vacant Tampa Bay area home when they found what they thought was a mannequin but it ended up being an actual human body.
The workers said they found it hanging in the garage and took it to the local dump where landfill workers ended up realizing it was real.
Hernando County Sheriff’s officials on Thursday said the 33-year-old Spring Hill man apparently committed suicide several weeks ago and his body was in a “state of decomposition similar to mummification.”
Israel Lopez and Adam Hines told authorities they thought the former renters had left a “Halloween-like” hoax. Lopez hauled the debris to the landfill while Hines continued cleaning.
Landfill workers spotted the remains and called deputies. Lopez was questioned when he brought a second load to the dump. Hines and the property owner were also questioned.
An investigation continues.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Subtropical Storm Alberto Gaining Strength, Moving Towards Gulf Coast
- One Person Shot In North Miami Beach Home Invasion
- Memorial Day Weekend Washout In Effect As Alberto Forecast To Strengthen
- South Florida Under Flood Watch As Alberto Brings Heavy Rain Over Florida
- Revelers Making The Best Out of Rainy Memorial Day Weekend