MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The Coast Guard has called-off the search Wednesday for a man who went missing during a shark diving venture in the Bahamas Sunday.
John E. Petty, 63, a resident of Longview, Texas, went missing from a commercial dive vessel in the vicinity of West End, Bahamas Sunday night.
Dive gear belonging to Petty was found during the extensive search.
Coast Guard 7th District command center watchstanders were contacted by the captain of the commercial dive vessel Shear Water late Sunday night stating that Petty went shark diving with eight others and did not return.
Coast Guard launched multiple air and sea assets in the search alongside Royal Bahamas Police Force.
More than 4,600 miles were search which lasted 64 hours total.
- Man Hurt After Strange Object Explodes, Neighbors Wondering If It Was Planted
- Preliminary Report On Las Vegas Massacre Does Not Reveal Motive
- Family: Tom Petty Died Of Accidental Drug Overdose
- Exclusive: Prosecutors Release Calls In Michael Irvin Sexual Battery Case
- Senate Vote On Track To Fail: Gov’t Set To Shut Down