cbs4 My 33 Header Logo

Local

Man Accused Of Trying To Kidnap Child From Community Center

View Comments
Lauren-Pastrana-600x450 Lauren Pastrana
Lauren Pastrana joined CBS Miami in April 2012 as a reporter. Sh...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
South Florida Crime

MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Police arrested a man accused of trying to kidnap a child at a Miami community center.

According to Miami-Dade Police, Dean Beck , 39, was arrested on July 10th after he allegedly tried to kidnap a child who was attending the Jewish Community Center located at 11155 SW 112th Ave.

The child was attending summer camp when Beck allegedly went up to her, grabbed her shirt and tried to drag her into the men’s restroom.

Ed Rosen, the director at the Alper JCC, said the child was able to scream for help and get away.

Rosen told CBS4′s Lauren Pastrana camp counselors and an off-duty officer immediately rushed in to help.

“Just terribly upset that something like this would happen,” Rosen said. “We are looking at safeguards and seeing what we can do to make the institution even safer than it was.”

Rosen said Beck is a long-time member at the JCC who participated in the center’s special needs fitness program.

He said Beck has “intellectual disabilities”, but investigators found him to be competent during questioning.

Police said Beck is a registered sex offender stemming from an incident over a decade ago.

“This is a dangerous man. He’s proven to be dangerous before, that is why he’s a convicted sex offender,” Miami-Dade Police Det. Roy Rutland said. “Once again, he appears to be trying to strike once again, or at least once that we know of.”

No one opened the door at Beck’s Palmetto Bay home Tuesday. A woman walking in the yard refused to comment.

Rosen said security cameras are constantly rolling at the JCC and background checks are performed on counselors and staff.

He said they’re now in the process of reviewing their membership rolls to weed out any sexual offenders or predators.

“Unfortunately, in this world today, you really have to be very cautious. We thought we were. We will be even more cautious now,” Rosen said.

He said parents were immediately notified and so far, no children have been pulled out of the camp as a result.

In fact, he said the 6-year-old victim is still a camper and her parents still use the facility.

Authorities are asking for the public’s help to determine if there have been any other victims.

Anyone with information is urged to call Miami-Dade Crimestoppers at (305) 471- TIPS.

Click here to see Lauren Pastrana’s report.

RELATED CONTENT:

 

 

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus