BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil (AP) Neymar and the Brazilian football confederation have denied media reports that the striker could undergo special treatment on his fractured vertebra to try to play in the World Cup final if Brazil makes it that far.
Both Neymar and the confederation released statements late Sunday saying that nothing that could risk the player’s health or career would be attempted to allow him to play in the final if Brazil advances past Germany in Tuesday’s semifinals.
The statements came after the Brazilian media quoted doctors from the Brazlian club Santos as saying there was a chance Neymar could play in the final by with alternative treatments and painkiller injections.
The confederation said rushed measures would “put in risk his future life as an athlete.”
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stanton, Marlins Aim For Series Win Over Rival Mets
- Stanton’s Monster Home Run Helps Marlins Down Mets 7-2
- Fernandez Puts 25-1 Home Record On Line Vs DeGrom, Mets
- Rodney Gives Up 9th Inning Home Run, Fish Fall 5-3
- St. Thomas Aquinas Football Team Testing Concussion Goggles, First For High School Athletes