DORAL (CBSMiami/AP) — Doral’s mayor has urged President Barack Obama to suspend deportations of Venezuelans with no criminal history.
Doral Mayor Luigi Boria presented three resolutions at the United States Conference of Mayors held in Dallas June 20 – 23.
In addition to halting deportations, one resolution calls for Venezuelan immigrants to receive temporary protected status.
Another resolution Boria introduced voiced support for demonstrators in Venezuela and the release of all political prisoners. A third resolution called on legislators to pass comprehensive immigration reform.
The United States Conference of Mayors represents cities with populations of 30,000 or more.
South Florida is home to the largest concentration of Venezuelans in the United States.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Florida Lost Construction, Gained Health Care Jobs During Recovery
- Dance Studio Employee Charged With Child Neglect
- WWII Vets Gather On Anniv. Of Pearl Harbor To Take Virtual Honor Flight To D.C. Memorial
- Miami Beach Police Close Off Ocean Drive While Investigating Bomb Threat
- Female Robbers Target Unsuspecting Victims Near Banks