DORAL (CBSMiami/AP) — Doral’s mayor has urged President Barack Obama to suspend deportations of Venezuelans with no criminal history.
Doral Mayor Luigi Boria presented three resolutions at the United States Conference of Mayors held in Dallas June 20 – 23.
In addition to halting deportations, one resolution calls for Venezuelan immigrants to receive temporary protected status.
Another resolution Boria introduced voiced support for demonstrators in Venezuela and the release of all political prisoners. A third resolution called on legislators to pass comprehensive immigration reform.
The United States Conference of Mayors represents cities with populations of 30,000 or more.
South Florida is home to the largest concentration of Venezuelans in the United States.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- 2 Officers Shot, Killed In Kissimmee
- Shooting In NE Miami-Dade Has Residents Of Busy Gated Community On Edge
- Tropical Storm Harvey Continues Westward Over Eastern Caribbean Sea
- ‘We Ran For Our Lives’: Florida Family Feet Away From Barcelona Attack
- Driver Dead After Horrific 2-Vehicle Crash In Pompano Beach