NAPLES (AP) — Two women from South Florida were killed while trying to cross Alligator Alley.
The Florida Highway Patrol said the accident happened Sunday night near mile marker 63.
The women had been walking along the grass median and attempted to cross the road to get to their vehicle, which was near a rest area along Interstate 75, when they were struck by an SUV.
The driver was unable to avoid the collision. The FHP said the women hit the vehicle’s windshield and then tumbled onto the pavement.
Both died at the scene. Their names have not been released.
An investigation continues, but no charges were expected against the driver.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Boil Water Notice Issued In Fort Lauderdale Following Water Main Break
- Flash Flooding Reported Across Broward County, Some Roads Impassable
- ‘Deadpool 2′ Ends Avengers’ Box-Office Reign, Rakes In $125M
- Investigators Finally Get Look At Materials From Cohen Raid
- Florida Judge Tosses Charges In Fraternity Pledge’s Death