MIAMI (AP) — Miami Marlins infielder Rafael Furcal is back on the disabled list and may be out for an extended period.
Furcal went on the 15-day DL before Sunday’s game against the Mets after he re-injured his left hamstring Saturday. Because of hamstring and groin injuries, he has played in only nine games this season, and he missed all of 2013 because of an elbow injury.
Derek Dietrich was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans and was in the lineup Sunday at second base.
The 36-year-old Furcal could be out for an extended stretch, and there’s no timetable for his return, manager Mike Redmond said.
Furcal, a three-time All-Star, was batting .171. The Marlins signed him to a $3 million, one-year deal last offseason despite doubts about his durability.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Marlins Fire Longtime TV Analyst Tommy Hutton After 19 Seasons
- CBS Sports Radio’s Gregg Giannotti Puts ‘Marlins Man’ On Blast
- Conine on Fernandez Trade Buzz: ‘That’s the Business of Baseball’
- Vanbiesbrouck, Thomas, Conine Headline 2015 Florida Sports Hall Of Fame Inductees
- Report: Jose Fernandez is on Trade Block