MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A very valuable Cuban baseball player has reportedly defected from the island.
Yasmani Tomas is described as a hard-hitting outfielder for the Cuban team.
According to the communist party newspaper ‘Granma,” he was smuggled off the island.
A number of Cuban baseball players have defected over the years, tempted by the prospect of multi-million dollar contracts with major league clubs.
- Nicolino To Start For Marlins In Rubber Match Against Padres
- Dwyane Wade Speaks Out In Wake Of Cousin’s Fatal Shooting
- Miami Dismisses Al-Quadin Muhammad & Jermaine Grace Permanently
- Francoeur Providing Spark For Marlins After Trade
- Johnson’s RBI Double In 9th Lifts Marlins Past Padres, 7-6