MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A very valuable Cuban baseball player has reportedly defected from the island.
Yasmani Tomas is described as a hard-hitting outfielder for the Cuban team.
According to the communist party newspaper ‘Granma,” he was smuggled off the island.
A number of Cuban baseball players have defected over the years, tempted by the prospect of multi-million dollar contracts with major league clubs.
- Volquez, Bullpen Hang On For 4-2 Win Over Cubs
- Gators Defeat TCU, Advance To College World Series Final
- Volquez, Marlins Aim For Series Split Against Streaking Cubs
- Nicolino Faces Off With Cubs’ Lester In Afternoon Game
- Stanton Homers, Urena Sizzles As Marlins Top Cubs 2-0