ORLANDO (CBSMiami/AP) — A would-be robber got the tables turned on him when he tried to rob a 79-year-old U.S. Army veteran.
Authorities say the veteran fought off the would-be robber at an Orlando-area gas station.
The confrontation was caught on surveillance camera on Saturday morning.
Orange County Sheriff’s deputies say Marvin Lail was filling up his car when a man came from behind the gas pump and demanded his wallet. But Lail fought back, even after the man pulled out a gun.
Lail believes the man targeted him because of his age, saying, “give it up, old man.” Lail told Orlando television stations the man would have had to kill him to get the wallet.
Eventually, a gas station employee intervened and the would-be robber fled before deputies arrived.
Deputies are searching for the man.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Vandal Leaves Swastikas Keyed Into Cars On Miami Beach
- Witness: “Nothing We Could Do” After Car Burst Into Flames
- Police: Witness Kills Crook During Armed Robbery, 2 Others Arrested
- NFL Player Matthew Elam Arrested In Miami Beach With 126 Grams Of Marijuana
- Tampa’s Vehicles Will Soon Be Able To Talk To Each Other