POMPANO BEACH (CBSMiami) — A freight train hit and killed a 90-year old man Saturday in Pompano Beach.
It all happened just before 9:00 a.m. at East Sample Road and North Dixie Highway.
The driver of the 2014 Toyota Corolla, Simone D’Alessio, allegedly tried to go around the railroad gates that were down and ended up stopping on the railroad tracks, according to Miami Fire Rescue.
Crews transported D’Alessio in extreme critical condition to Broward Health North where he later died.
Drivers are being warned to seek alternate routes near the area of the incident.
The intersection of Sample Road and Dixie Highway as well as NE 33rd Street are closed due to the investigation into the man’s death.
Broward Sheriff’s Deputies said they expect the two intersections will be closed until the afternoon.
- Police Use of Social Media Expanding & It’s Raising New Concerns
- 7 Earth-Size Planets Found In Habitable Zone Outside Our Solar System
- Anti-Trump Protesters Take Fight To Local Leaders Who Didn’t Hold Town Hall
- Trump Administration Lifts Federal Guidelines On Transgender Student Bathroom Protections
- Congressional Leaders Pen Letter Asking Feds To Investigate JCC Bomb Threats