POMPANO BEACH (CBSMiami) — A freight train hit and killed a 90-year old man Saturday in Pompano Beach.
It all happened just before 9:00 a.m. at East Sample Road and North Dixie Highway.
The driver of the 2014 Toyota Corolla, Simone D’Alessio, allegedly tried to go around the railroad gates that were down and ended up stopping on the railroad tracks, according to Miami Fire Rescue.
Crews transported D’Alessio in extreme critical condition to Broward Health North where he later died.
Drivers are being warned to seek alternate routes near the area of the incident.
The intersection of Sample Road and Dixie Highway as well as NE 33rd Street are closed due to the investigation into the man’s death.
Broward Sheriff’s Deputies said they expect the two intersections will be closed until the afternoon.
- Taste Of The Town: South Beach’s Habitat Is A Warm, Welcoming Eatery
- President Trump To Visit Key West
- Attorney Says Jose Fernandez Probe Has Ruined His Family And Legacy
- Murder Suspect Shot And Killed On Busy Street By Fort Lauderdale Police
- Historic Transition Time In Cuba As Raul Castro Prepares For Successor